*sigh* Butterfly Bushes

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 01:32:36 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He doesn't have a long one but I have my brain set to ignore them. I can't understand why he simply can't answer the question since he's the one asking for help.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I used to live in Washington State, near Seattle. Butterfly bushes, the same buddleias I have in my Alabama garden, DO grow wild along the roadsides and vacant land areas. To me, they were beautiful, growing wild and huge and blooming profusely all season.

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

One of mine does reseed. Not "freely" but occasionally. I could be weeding some seedlings out with out knowing what they are! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

"Gloria" wrote in news:4FXUh.24436$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

For some reason I can't understand, if something grows freely it is considered a weed. It can be the most beautiful plant in the world but someone, somewhere, will insist it is a pest and must be cut down simply because it is plentiful. (As people will often insist about mints, my fav. ;) Anything that flowers and smells good works for me. I'd love to see butterfly bushes wild and huge and blooming all over the place.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"Travis M." news:V4TUh.1267$jR5.802@trnddc08:

LOL... I'm afraid I did not catch that . I did read your response to V with the excerpt about invasive butterfly bushes. Thanks for the info.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

Actually dear, *I* am the one that asked for help. And thanks to you good folks I've gotten it. Now f'loons are invasive .

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

FragileWarrior considered a weed. It can be the most beautiful plant in the world

I tend to agree... except for the mint. I won't go into my mint war because most people have been there ;) I do like mint in a pot but the people that lived here before us allowed mint to take over.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in news:Xns99154E2BDD021zjlzzjkvjzklzjkljxkl@69.28.186.121:

I shoulda known it was you starting all this trouble. :::shake fist at Michael:::

Hey, I had a mini with diarrhea the other day. EWWWWW EWWW EWWWW. That was gross. Do you know that Tractor Supply sells 32 oz of the equine equivalent of Kaopectate for $6?? Try shoving a cup of that into a horses mouth every three hours.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Eh, this is not a problem. There are a lot of people on Usenet who ask a question, get twenty replies, never to return again to read them. It's the risk we take when replying. I reply because it keeps my memory fresh, not necessarily to help the other person. Make sense?

Reply to
Jangchub

I made the mistake of hiring the kid next door to weed for me early in spring. I showed her what NOT to pull out, and that consisted of all my Salvia coccinea and Mexican hat wildflowers. She pulled the weeds till the soil was bare. People don't learn how to listen and cognitively perform the task.

I still have to hire someone to weed for me as I simply can't do it any more. I'm in so much pain now I actually took TWO Vicodin last night. For me, that's major drugs.

Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:46:37 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior considered a weed. It can be the most beautiful plant in the world but

Simply, the definition of a weed is a plant out of place. My entire back garden is designed for wildlife, so to someone elses eye would be very messy. Well, that's what nature does. I don't let invasive species which are non-native to take over. I remove those when I can.

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from FragileWarrior considered a weed.

"Definition of weed; a plant in the wrong place"...familiar joke saying among Brit gardeners.

Very often, in their native habitat, weed plants are part of an ecosystem where there is some natural control; hungry insects, or animals, or climate Buddliea is not a native species here and there's nothing here to control it naturally.

Usually invasive plants are removed, not for being plentiful, but because they would smother cultivated crops or cause a some expensive hazard.

They are beautidul, on some bit of waste land not being used for anything else. But these are big weeds. In a single summer season, a young plant can grow 7 ft in all directions and unchecked, they'll go to

20 ft high in a couple of years. On railway embankments, they can spread so thickly they become a fire hazard or an obstruction to railway workers.If buddliea self-seeds into a tiny crack in paving or the stone or brick walls of a house, the rapidly expanding roots and trunk will soon widen that tiny crack into a bigger one, letting in rain and frost, breaking up paving, concrete and mortar, causing structural damage, loosening chimney stacks etc. . It's quite common here to see buddleia growing several storeys up on a neglected building, chimney stack , roof, or rain gutter. Eventually the weight of the plant, or the wind tugging it, could bring down gutters, masonry blocks etc.

Janet (Scotland)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

My sig simply says "Travis in Shoreline Washington".

Reply to
Travis M.

I did not ask for help. I just replied to the OP.

Reply to
Travis M.

They may be beautiful but invasives displace native vegatation.

Reply to
Travis M.

"FragileWarrior" considered a weed. It can be the most beautiful plant in the world

In that case you should move to where ever it is that they are native.

Reply to
Travis M.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:48:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Jangchub

"Travis M." wrote in news:247Vh.3633 $nU4.1415@trnddc03:

Nah. I think I'll move to where you are and spread seeds willy nilly just to annoy you. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I wasn't singling you out. I've seen sig lines which are ten lines long. Obnoxious. Your sig line simply has your name and location, so it's appropriate.

Reply to
Jangchub