*sigh* Butterfly Bushes

Page 1 of 3
I've got 5 butterfly bushes. 4 of them were planted last fall. 1 is 4 years old. Due to the last big deep freeze, all of the new leaves have frozen and fallen off. All of them. On top of that, some of the branches on the newer plantings are brittle and just snap off. I pruned them heavily in early spring which is what I've done to the established one for the past 3 years. Do I wait and see what happens with them or do I just chalk it up to winter kill and buy 5 new ones?
Michael
--
“…real foodies should just give over to the experience of eating and let
the experience take them away. No questions. No expectations. No analysis.”

Wait...and prune in time but be sure time is long. Look for brittle to your bending. IE they break when you bend them.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
βœ–

Just wait it out because you will probably also get new growth coming from the crown. It's still very early in the season for most parts of the country. Where are you?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm in St. Louis Missouri. I'll ride it out and see what happens. I'm just antsy because I've not experienced a hard freeze like this here. Makes me nervous ;)
Michael
--
“…real foodies should just give over to the experience of eating and let
the experience take them away. No questions. No expectations. No analysis.”
βœ–
I was told to cut mine off about 3 inches above the ground before the new growing season. The messages above lead me to believe that advice was wrong. What do you think?
Dwayne

Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not sure which message you are refering to. When I bought my first one the Missouri Botanical Gardens reps told me to prune it very hard around the end of Feb or very early in March. I cut mine down to about 6 inches above the ground. It would seem to me the advice you got was correct. I do pretty much the same thing you do.
Michael
--
“…real foodies should just give over to the experience of eating and let
the experience take them away. No questions. No expectations. No analysis.”
βœ–
We get the same advice here in SE Wisconsin, tho we usually wait about a month later before cutting back. Suzy O
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Out here they are very invasive. Don't know about St. Louis. To be on the safe side you might want to cut off the spent flowers before they go to seed.
In regards to your freeze, they should be fine and you will see new growth from the crown when it warms up.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Add pictures here
βœ–

Where's "out here"?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Did you read my whole response including the .sig?
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Add pictures here
βœ–

No. Never read sigs.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 03:54:31 GMT, "Travis M."

I don't doubt what you say, but I question it. What are you caling butterfly bushes and where are you that it is invasive? In all my years of gardening I've never seen a butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii) become invasive.
Add pictures here
βœ–

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja
"Some species are commonly found as escapees from the garden. B. davidii in particular is a great coloniser of dry open ground; in towns in Britain, it often self-sows on waste ground, where it grows into a dense thicket, and it is listed as an invasive species in many areas. It is frequently seen beside railway lines and on derelict factory sites, although it is not able to survive the harsh winters of northern continental climates, being killed by temperatures below about -15°C to -20°C."
Come out this way and see for yourself.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:49:29 GMT, "Travis M."

Oh I believe you, I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same plant. Just because I never saw it reseed, I wasn't saying it didn't, only that I was questioning what you were referring to as butterfly bush. In the states I know of a few things with that common name.
Add pictures here
βœ–

In the UK climate, buddleia davidii self seeds freely in the worst of growing conditions . It's common to see them growing out of cracks on old buildings and neglected roofs, pavements, and as weeds along railway embankments. They were one of the plants that rapidly colonised city bombsites during th war.
Janet.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:33:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough

Interesting. I never had that happen either on Long Island or down here in Texas. Maybe you have the perfect clime.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/16/07 11:04 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

some seedlings out with out knowing what they are! Cheryl
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:20:46 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

I made the mistake of hiring the kid next door to weed for me early in spring. I showed her what NOT to pull out, and that consisted of all my Salvia coccinea and Mexican hat wildflowers. She pulled the weeds till the soil was bare. People don't learn how to listen and cognitively perform the task.
I still have to hire someone to weed for me as I simply can't do it any more. I'm in so much pain now I actually took TWO Vicodin last night. For me, that's major drugs.
Victoria
Add pictures here
βœ–
I used to live in Washington State, near Seattle. Butterfly bushes, the same buddleias I have in my Alabama garden, DO grow wild along the roadsides and vacant land areas. To me, they were beautiful, growing wild and huge and blooming profusely all season.
Gloria

βœ–

For some reason I can't understand, if something grows freely it is considered a weed. It can be the most beautiful plant in the world but someone, somewhere, will insist it is a pest and must be cut down simply because it is plentiful. (As people will often insist about mints, my fav. ;) Anything that flowers and smells good works for me. I'd love to see butterfly bushes wild and huge and blooming all over the place.
Add pictures here
βœ–