Sick tree - Help please!

This tree doesn't seem to be very healthy.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/IMGP1684-1.jpg
There was a lot of dead wood on it that I cut away and then applied Seal and Heal to the exposed cut surfaces. I also applied it to the area of decay on the trunk, pictured here........
http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/IMGP1679-1.jpg
My neighbour says that it isn't flowering like it used to (we only moved in six months ago). The flower is pictured here.........
http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/IMGP1683-1.jpg
Apologies for the image quality. The flower is bone dry and crumbly.
We really like this tree. It is the perfect natural sun umbrella. We sit under it all the time. What can I do to revive it?
Many thanks.
D.
It's a sumac and if it were my tree I would get that goop off immediately. Dressing wounds and covering decay promotes more of the same. Some years it flowers well, some doesn't, but it's pretty invasive in my yard. I have at least 25 saplings around the main tree which I have to dig out and pot up for sale.
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:46:26 +0100, "DM"

I think your tree is a staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina). If so, since it's a rather fast growing plant, I'm not surprised that you have some dead branches -- and maybe it's not really "sick" afterall. I usually see it growing as a suckering shrub along the freeway in these parts. Since it suckers readily, when grown as a shrub it can be cut back to the ground to rejuvenate it. Check out these 2 sites for more info: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-59.pdf and http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/shrubs/rhus_typhina.html
Hope this helps! Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Many thanks to both of you!
Denis