Sick Lilac

Hi - I bought a 3' Lilac that was (and is) afflicted with mildew and blight. It has been in my yard for a few months now. About 5% of the leaves are totally fine, 80% have mildew and the others (and some of the mildew ones) have blight. There are some new suckers coming up. Should I remove all leaves that have blight/mildew or both? If I remove all sick leaves, the plant will have maybe 5 leaves on it. Should I not worry about it as they will fall off over winter and it will be better next year? thanks!
I am by no means an expert on lilacs, but I do have one growing. The leaves are going to die and fall off very soon anyways (depends on where you live). I would just clean up the dead leaves around the plant and next year keep a close eye on it. I think it will be fine, but like I said I am no expert.
--
:) Lynn

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mildew on lilacs is par for the course. It's good to clean up dropped leaves, spray with a fungicide, apply real (hydrated lime, not pulverized limestone), lots of sunshine and remove a third of the oldest shoots every year after they bloom.
Ah, I'm not real knowledgable about this but don't suckers drain strength and stamina from the main plant -- especially if it is sick? Shouldn't they be snipped off so the plant can concentrate on sending nourishment to the main tree?