Sick cherry tree

Last year, both of my apricots exhibited these symptoms, that is peeling bark. This year they are both dead. This year, one of my cherry trees is doing the exact same thing. There is no sign of insects, no stress, no disease that I recognize - just the peeling bark. I'm afraid the tree will go the same path the my apricots did. Anyone recognize this?
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/2008JulySickCherryTree/images/DSCF3113.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/2008JulySickCherryTree/images/DSCF3115.JPG
Add pictures here
✖
Zootal wrote:

Borer?
http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/article.phtml?cat &id’6
Add pictures here
✖

would that be Asian Long nose beetle damage? I hear they're evil and tenacious. not sure if they're down here in Tennessee yet, I hope not. apparently their appetite is huge for everything.........sugar maples, tulip poplars, anything they can bore into and down deep for their eggs to live, hatch, eat outwards causing death in the tree in two years.......wow...anyone with a clue to this? I've seen it in other trees, and had it on my old black cherry tree. it never died from it, though although it was huge and over 75 years old. just the part the flaking was on. maddie
Add pictures here
✖

Not sure. This goes all the way up the trunk. I just took a close look, and did not see any sign of sap leakage. Where the bark peels, the wood underneath it is dead. I can peel off dead chunks of wood that go as much as a quarter inch into the tree. I just looked at my other cherry tree, and it is starting to do this also.
I've looked at several cherry/fruit tree sites, but have not yet found anything that describes what I'm seeing.
Add pictures here
✖

You have a tree that has had its trunk wounded. Something wounded the trunk. I would start here looking for causes of decline in your fruit tree. Also MODERN ARBORICULTURE would be a good book to guide you through tree planting and beyond. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html Worth the effort.
--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

What would have wounded the trunk? The damage is all up and down the main trunk, and on some secondary branches. This is not a single wound, nor has anything that I'm aware of happened to damage the trunk like this. If it is mechanical damage, it has to have been caused by birds or insects, and I've not seen any sigh of either.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:00:40 -0700, "Zootal"

By no means am I a fruit tree expert, but it sure does resemble a problem I'm having with my peach tree. My peach has gummosis for sure. There are splits in the bark which look like the one you have and seems to me it looks like canker of some sort. I am going to remove the tree altogether and plant another one at the back of the property so when the fruit falls, the critters living in the brush piles can eat the fruit and not come close to the house where our current peach tree is. I have no idea what is wrong with your tree, but it doesn't look like mechanical damage.
Add pictures here
✖

My apricots died of this. The rest of my trees (plums, peach, pear, apple) seem to be doing fine, but I'm going to go and take a much closer look at them.
Add pictures here
✖
Take the time to review this book to avoid common problems with pruns species. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html they do not tolerate improper pruning. A major cause of problems for these trees!
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

For the ten billionth time, I made proper cuts.
Add pictures here
✖
If you decide to cut the tree down at some point you could mail me the section with the wound. I will date the wound and try to identify the cause. I would give you specific instructions when I give you my address.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:13:40 -0400, "symplastless"

I can have it dated and identified here in Austin by Don Gardener, a well respected arborist in this region. Thanks for the offer.
Add pictures here
✖
Zootal wrote:

If it is a borer, look for hemispherical holes in the trunk. It could be something below the soil line causing the problem higher up, again possibly borers. You may see some sawdust residue outside of the holes, also indicating the presence of borers.
Sherwin
Add pictures here
✖