Shrub ID, please

This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant) http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)
The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central long "finger" is about 3 feet high.
Thanks, Julie

I don't know, but I don't think you should let children go near it. :-)

Could it be some sort of sumac?
Jacqui

Why is that plant flipin' us the bird??!!
That's called Karma, Earline.
Don't you watch Carson Daily?

Julie schreef:

I'm not sure, but can it be an Amaranthus caudatus 'Fat Spike' (see http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/9360/ )?
Marc

I think you and Stewart nailed, it Marc. That sure looks like my oddball plant. I guess I miscategorized it when I called it a shrub.
Thank you! Julie

Except that I didn't think that Amaranthus was a shrub, it looks like Amaranthus (amaranth, love lies bleeding). The usual species is Amaranthus caudatus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info

It's amaranthus elephant head (I believe that's the variety). I have it in my garden, too and it always gets tons of comments.
Cheryl