Shrub ID, please

This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

(full plant)
(close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Thanks, Julie

Reply to
Julie

I don't know, but I don't think you should let children go near it. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Could it be some sort of sumac?

Jacqui

Reply to
axeman

Why is that plant flipin' us the bird??!!

Reply to
Cindy

In message , Julie writes

Except that I didn't think that Amaranthus was a shrub, it looks like Amaranthus (amaranth, love lies bleeding). The usual species is Amaranthus caudatus.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I'm not sure, but can it be an Amaranthus caudatus 'Fat Spike' (see

)?

Marc

Reply to
MarcAnt

MarcAnt wrote in news:433ae8e5$0$28754$ snipped-for-privacy@news.skynet.be:

I think you and Stewart nailed, it Marc. That sure looks like my oddball plant. I guess I miscategorized it when I called it a shrub.

Thank you! Julie

Reply to
Julie

Same to you, Potsy.

Why don't you just "sit on it"?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

That's called Karma, Earline.

Don't you watch Carson Daily?

"Cindy" > come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

It's amaranthus elephant head (I believe that's the variety). I have it in my garden, too and it always gets tons of comments.

Reply to
clc