shredded paper for composting

For security reasons, I have a fair amount of paper which gets shredded. This is white paper with either laser or (black) inkjet printing on it. No coated paper or newspaper. I through some in the compost bin last summer and it decays pretty quickly, mixed with chopped leaves and grass mowings. Anybody out there know if the paper would have nutrients for the plants, both flower beds and veggies. (I saw a post in a wodworking group that said sawdust would help loosen the soil but didn't have much in the way of nutrients.) I like to have extra carbon-stuff to throw in the compost bin - my wife complains when I save leaves over the winter, but otherwise there's not much carbon-stuff to mix in when the nitrogen-heavy grass clippings are there to be composted.

I can always throw the shredded paper in with the recycling - probably better from an ecology standpoint since this is quality paper that improves the recycling value.

Thanks much Bill

Reply to
bill

As you discovered, office paper composts very well. (Unlike newspapers.) Rather than thinking about compost as a source of nutrients, think of it as a soil conditioner. There's nothing better than compost for that.

Reply to
Compostman