Should arbovita be fertilized in the Fall???

I was given two opionions on this. Do it and don't do it. Do it, the fertilizer will 'work' during the winter months. Don't do it, you don't want to encourage new growth that will be killed or damaged with frost and cold weather. Which is correct??

Reply to
tomkanpa

It's more important to be sure the evergreens have enough water, before the ground freezes. I would hold off the fertilizer until early spring, or put a very slow acting fertilizer like composted manure together with a mulch blanket around the trees.

Sherw> I was given two opionions on this. Do it and don't do it.

Reply to
sherwindu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Maybe you should spray Al Franken, too. He needs all the help he can get to keep from drying up.

Reply to
Tiny Krause

It is generally a bad idea to fertilize in the fall. I'm in the same general zone you are and the only thing that I would consider fertilizing is the lawn, and then with a low nitrogen, "winterizer" product that encourages root growth.

Reply to
Vox Humana