Should arbovita be fertilized in the Fall???

I was given two opionions on this. Do it and don't do it. Do it, the fertilizer will 'work' during the winter months. Don't do it, you don't want to encourage new growth that will be killed or damaged with frost and cold weather. Which is correct??
It's more important to be sure the evergreens have enough water, before the ground freezes. I would hold off the fertilizer until early spring, or put a very slow acting fertilizer like composted manure together with a mulch blanket around the trees.
Sherwin D.
tomkanpa wrote:

I also spray all evergreens including rhodos etc with cloud cover or other antidessicant going into winter. I even spray the twigs. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3 www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

to keep from drying up.

It is generally a bad idea to fertilize in the fall. I'm in the same general zone you are and the only thing that I would consider fertilizing is the lawn, and then with a low nitrogen, "winterizer" product that encourages root growth.