SHIGOMETRY question.

Has anybody done any SHIGOMETRY work in Allegheny National Forest (ANF) PA area? I have and have means for CER of

Tionesta Area PA: On 8/26/1999 (Does anybody know about when the cambium zone goes back into the resting stage in this area?) Eastern Hemlock (have mean for this stage) canopy

American Beech (have mean for this stage) canopy

Cook State Park Forest PA: On 8/29/1999 (does anybody know about when the cambium zone goes back into the resting stage in this area for these species?)

Black Cherry (have mean for this stage) canopy

White Pine (have mean for this stage) canopy

American Beech (have mean for this stage) canopy

- - - - - - -- -

Maryland in Buffer Zone with old growth conditions

Cornus florida on 9/5/99 - 9/6/99 (have mean for this stage) Cambium zone in resting stage. Understory

Oak, Swamp White Oak on 9/5/99 - 9/6/99 and 9/12/1999 (have mean for this stage) canopy

Tulip Poplar on 9/5/99 - 9/6/99 and 9/12/1999 (have mean for this stage) canopy

- - - - - - - - - -

Does anybody have any means they can share on CER for these species? Any mean for Mountain Laurel in its two stages?

Can anybody share some of the numbers for the wire probe with heartwood forming and sapwood only - forming trees, specifying the readings for differences between heartwood, sapwood, color altered or discolored heartwood, color altered and discolored sapwood (thus addressing wood quality)? I am going to start making a data base on wire probe results for the 10 most common trees in my area and would greatly like to share results with other SHIGOMETRIST.

Also has anyone detect the quality of wood products with the needle probe and deionized(sic) water? What were your readings for sound wood and what were you readings for leaky wood? Of course the species specific rule applies. Also does anyone have any thoughts on the importance of phenology with this research?

This weekend I will be visiting with a customer who is interested in doing some tree farming (thinning) and desires to consider tree biology when selecting trees and health issues such as the ecological stages of trees and course woody debris. We will be using the SHIGOMETER if it is not raining and the temp. is above 40 degrees f. to select trees for harvest. Of course we will have to separate suppressed and trees such as canopy. This research is really what I like to do. The customer also is an organic gardener, starting a garden, and we will be hauling and selling a load of certified organic mushroom soil to help finance the research project. The customer has a wonderful bed and breakfast which will make the work unique. If anyone has any last minute thoughts with respect to this type of research and tree farming please let me know. I guess my control will be past and future research results from Tionesta, Cook and Maryland. I need to get out in the forest more to get the data I require for tree farming.

Also does anyone have data on the optimum fertility levels for trees in Maryland or Pennsylvania? We would like to be able to test soils to see if specific elements are lacking. Most results from extension service are based on requirements for corn.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Forester & Tree Expert

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

The question was asking people if they had any data they have collected regarding the use of a SHIGOMETER to detect wood quality and tree vitality. The SHIGOMETER does hold up in court cases.

Reply to
symplastless

And how many times have you testified as an "expert" witness with regards to the shigometer? You are no forester, and no expert.

Reply to
Don Staples

Obviously. I gave him the Fed data numbers he asked for and he subsequently shifts the conversation to whether or not shigometers are valid data sources. He's a fraud. This info is available from Jurik, Weber, and Gates' book, which if he were a forester, or had even ever hired one, he would have a copy of. This phony post is tantamount to someone claiming to be an automobile designer and then asking if a gasoline engine runs on gasoline. Pffft.

Reply to
Steve

Coming from you Don Staples that's a compliment and off topic as always. I did not expect you to have a data to provide and was not written to you. You think everything people write is to you and no way I am seeking your advise for anything..

Reply to
symplastless

I asked for input on their own experience with a SHIGOMETER. You obviously have none which is fine. But your comments are unprofessional, rude and inconsiderate. Do you treat everyone with such respect? I have no idea what a fed data number is but I do know they have not done optimum fertility levels for trees or more people would be recommended the use of soil wood for providing elements, nutrients and residual lignin (soil) required for growth. Surely the last element a mature requires in nitrogen yet people out of the ignorance keep prescribing fertilizer applications as if trees were corn. An application of micro elements would be a great idea. As far as this fed thing you are talking about , what is the website address? Again, what are the optimum fertility levels for trees. Let me make it easy for you. What pH does a eastern hemlock have in old growth in PA?

Reply to
symplastless

'Nuff said.

Reply to
Steve

Steve, if you have the info than please just exlain two things.

Please list the 17 essential elements, tell me which ones come from the soil and what their level should be (in the soil) for lets say, a eastern hemlock. Remeber there is no such thing as a miner element, they are anything but miner when lacking. Thats why they are called micro elements and not miner. Dates taken: pH: C; H; N; O; P; K; S; Mg; Ni; Fe; Ca; Zn; Mo; Mn; B; Cl; Cu Where were these soil samples obtained?

Although may be available outside soil, O must be available in the soil for respiration.

Then in this book or paper you recommend, what page are the CER (Cambium Electrical Resistance) means for growing season and resting season of the stem of an Eastern Hemlock in PA?

In PA for Eastern Hemlock. How about heartwood to chemically altered heartwood as a result of a wound or injury? (wire probes) Sapwood to heartwood? (wire probes) Sapwood to to chemically altered sapwood from an wound or injury? (wire probes)

Reply to
symplastless

Many long years ago, he took a workshop to watch a shigometer being used in his presence. Every six months since, he's re-started this same topic again & again, always with the same outcome of him bragging about alleged expertise. He sometimes tries the gambit of needing information but if anyone gives it to him, it doesn't change his basic position & all replies are his excuse for braggadocious posturing.

It's no longer surprising symptomless is a nutter. What's surprising is he is always the exact same predictable and unchanging nutter, like that guy who got a part of his brain cut out and can't learn anything new, so for him it's always the same yesterday. symptomless has no REAL need for education because in his imaginary world, he possesses all knowledge required now or in the future.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Oy vey already. Does anyone want to play Mah Jong? I'm on a Mah Jong toot.

This ongoing idiocricy of tryng to have a discussion about anything with you really have got to stop. What is wrong with you, anyway? I really mean it John. I never HEARD of a SHIGOMETER, let alone experienced using one. You are ridiculous.

Reply to
Jangchub

Top posted so people don't have to trapse through this whole nonsense; PLANTS DON'T READ. You can sit there with all your elements, trace mineral lists, and ad naseum bullshit and still the plant doesn't read.

Reply to
Jangchub

off topic and ridiculous.

Reply to
symplastless

'Nuff said.

Reply to
Steve

Please learn to edit your posts. Paghat is ridiculous? I've learned more from her over the years than from just about anyone else put together in this newsgroup. I am flat out amazed how you can call anyone ridiculous. It must be your reflection.

Reply to
Jangchub