Sheep Manure/Compost

Does Sheep Manure make good compost? Been looking for some compost, and ran across this add on craigslist: We have lots of cheep sheep manure/compost. $20 per scoop. Scoops weigh between 500 and 600 pounds. I was thinking of trying some of this stuff, however I can get horse aged manure/sawdust for free..........The horse manure does have lots of sawdust.......

Reply to
gaffer

See:

for NPK values.

As always knowing the provenance helps. Horse may contain bedding straw or sawdust (where the horses are stabled on hard feed) and it may contain viable seeds from their feed. I haven't kept sheep and I haven't been to The Shire so I cannot comment on whether either of these are issues with sheep manure where you are.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Manure Steer Sheep Horse

N .70 .70 .70

P .30 .30 .30

K .40 .90 .60

Will vary with moisture content, and feed.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Sheep manure makes very good compost if handled properly. The benefits are that it is low in odor and fairly inexpensive. Sheep manure is lower in nitrogen than many other animal manures, moderate in potassium and especially rich in potash. It can be used extensively without risk of burning young plants. The addition of sheep manure will improve the organic ratio of your soil, which is helpful for water retention and aeration and for providing crops with necessary microorganisms.

Reply to
allen73