Shallow Soil

Hi - I am quite an inexperienced gardener and wondered if anyone could help me. i have a small front garden but the house is very old and the soil is very shallow with hardcore underneath. i would like to improve the depth but not sure what to buy - the garden isn't big enough to have topsoil delivered - can anyone advise me what to buy from the garden centre to improve the depth - or should I just buy a small amount of topsoil (couple of tonnes) and bite the bullet on the delivery charges. Thanks for your help

Reply to
DianneB

aside from David's remarks, i also ask about how the area is contained/edged. if you bring in extra materials will it stay in place during a heavy rain or are there drainage issues involved?

most soils can be improved in place by adding a top layer of organic material to let the worms incorporate into the soil. it works through time, so if you want something quicker then yes, you'll have to bring it in and incorporate it.

also, you mention it is a front garden and that to me means facing the street and potentially an issue of left a bit wilder than a back garden. so some methods of soil restoration i would encourage would be different depending upon what type of neighborhood you have, if you are in an association (condos, or some other neighbor- hood thingy).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Reply to