shallots from seed?

Hi All,
Do you grow shallots from seeds? Or do you plant bulbs/cloves?
When do you plant?
Many thanks, -T
On 10/14/2013 9:14 PM, Todd wrote:

I grew them from shallot bulbs I bought at the grocery store. However, I found that the white part of a green onion (scallion) serves as an excellent substitute in cooking; so I no longer grow them.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 10/14/2013 10:41 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

Hmmm. Interesting. Thank you!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On Monday, October 14, 2013 10:41:30 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:

But David, aren't green onions much "sharper" than shallots? Has it made any difference in your cooking/salads?
HB
On 10/15/2013 8:49 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Green onions might be more sharp than shallots. However, my wife and I prefer highly seasoned foods. For example, where a recipe might call for 2 cloves of garlic we use 3-4.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:16:00 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:

I bet you're the life of the party <VBG>

Many years ago in Houston, Texas, we grew something called "multiplying onions" for salad use. Pull up a small bunch of them for a meal, break one off and stick it back in the hole. They never went dormant, never bloomed, never really bulbed, just kept dividing. And they *really* liked the gumbo clay soil where my grandparents lived, but they also grew okay in the acid sandy soil at my parents house in the pines.
They had a little different (richer) taste than green onions, and I now recognize it as shallots. I've been looking for them for years; even drove by the house where my grandparents lived 40 years ago to see if there were still some there. I'm pretty sure now they were a shallot variety "Louisiana Evergreen", which is a sterile triploid or something.
No idea if "Louisiana Evergreen" shallots are still available, or if they will grow up here in the frozen north.
To answer the original question, I grew some shallots from seeds this year, but I planted them too late and the weeds overtook them. I will dig them up this weekend and see what I got. Next year I will plant shallot bulbs from the Oriental market (they are cheap there)
Bob
On 10/18/2013 08:44 AM, zxcvbob wrote:

Hi Bob,
Thank you!
Can I use bulbs from the grocery store?
Since you live in the frozen north, when do you plant yours?
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote:

This is the first time I've grown them, and I planted the seeds in the spring. I think you plant bulbs in the fall after the first frost -- although it would probably also work the buy bulbs in late winter, refrigerate them for a month or so, and plant as soon as the ground thaws.
Bob