Shagbark Hickory

It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, but I don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its height? How long would it last if it were cut.

What makes you think it will fall on the house? The only way it would do that is if it broke, which is doubtful, unless it's diseased. Hickories are extremely deeply rooted, just try pulling a seedling out of the ground once it has four leaves or so! You'll ruin the shape completely if you cut it (or pollard it, I hate it when trees are butchered that way).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Kaygee wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
I envy you your tree-- shagbark hickory is absolutely stunning.

Almost certainly better to remove the tree if it is a hazard than "...cut it to half its height." Have a professional consulting arborist (see ASCA http://www.asca-consultants.org/directory/index.cfm ) for a professional in your area. Good luck.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC