Shady climbers for year round interest

I have a small garden surrounded by houses all sides and my neighbours have just erected a fence resembling the Berlin Wall on one side. I'd like to grow something up it which has year round interest. Few things to consider:
* the fence is 2.5m high, 4m wide so nothing too vigorous and swamping! * it's almost always in shade and is north facing, maybe an hour or two of dappled sun max * would prefer light and bright colours to stand out (everything seems to be pale or white for shade - bit of colour would be good) * would prefer something evergreen to add interest in winter if possible * would love fragrence but being greedy now!!! : )
I was considering a mixture of rose/clematis/climbing hydrangea/other vines - can anyone advise if the following are the way to go:
Rosa Madame Alfred Carriere Rosa Zephirine Drouhin Clematis 'Dawn' Clematis 'Guernsey Cream’ Clematis 'Silver Moon'
Any other suggestions gratefully received. Thanks
--
lauraloo

Add pictures here
βœ–
are you allowed to paint your side of the fence?

Add pictures here
βœ–

Look into honeysuckle.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle>
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/26/2008 5:26 AM, lauraloo wrote:

Where are you? That is, what is your climate?
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Are you planning on attaching anything to the fence? Will whatever you plant grow through or over the neighbor's fence? Is this OK with your neighbor?
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–
lauraloo;781383 Are you planning on attaching anything to the fence? Will whatever you plant grow through or over the neighbor's fence? Is this OK with your neighbor?
I assumed I'd have to attached some wire or trellis which is OK. It's a solid fence so will be some growth over to their fence whcih would be OK but would prefer if not really vigorous.
Reason I have discounted honeysuckle is that I have 2 bushes of it already and it takes over somewhat.
I am climate zone 8 (SW england/Bristol).
depending on how much sunlight u get in the area u want to plant i would maybe consider putting in a climatis surrounded by other plants that u might enjoy as well. ours faces a west wall and just loves it there and it also takes a lot
of heavy winter winds and seems to still do quite well. good luck with whatever u decide. cyaaaaaaaaa, sockiescat:).
--
sockiescat

Add pictures here
βœ–