Shade Privacy Tree Suggestions?

Hello, and thanks in advance for your assistance. I am in zone 7, on Long Island, New York. I am looking for some privacy trees that would preferably grow tall and full, yet not too wide, as their location is not a very wide space (between a fence and a path). They would be in partial to almost full shade, which I know would rule out many evergreens such as arborvitae. While I prefer an evergreen suggestion, it could also be a non-evergreen, as the privacy I seek is mostly for the summer months. Thanks very much for your time and advice.

Reply to
saabdued

A lot of trees that tolerate full shade would be short because in their native habitat they would be and understory tree. Some would grow tall and fast after a disturbance where sunlight is increased. What are the species of trees that are there now?

Its a hard question to answer. I do not have the answer.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

I can't help with plant suggestions, but whatever ideas you gather, you might want to visit this place and see if you can meet the plants "in person" before buying:

JoeSpareBedroom

Check into hollies.

Reply to
Jangchub

Right now all we have growing along that fence are shade perennials that can be easily moved. We do have a Holly tree not far away in full/mostly shade, and while not tall nor narrow, it is very healthy. Not very familiar with Hollies, but I will look into them to see if I can find one that meets our specifications. We like our neighbors but their house is very close to our fence and on a hill overlooking that area of our yard. We are just looking for something to grow a few feet taller than the six foot fence for added privacy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Reply to
saabdued

Sounds like you will want to prune whatever you get to keep it at the 6 foot fence. Its better to start pruning when the tree is young than when it is mature for controlling hieght. This if for you. You can start pruning 1 year after you plant the tree. Hope you find a suitable tree. For pruning

while I am at it here is some planting suggestions for when you find your tree of hope.
John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

There are literally hundreds of varieties of holly shrubs and trees. I am certain you will find one to suit your needs and they do well in shade.

Reply to
Jangchub

Holly in shade?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes. Holly in shade or sun. In shade doesn't grow as fast, but will flower and berry just fine. I have Yaupon and Burford and they are both doing very well in full shade.

Reply to
Jangchub

Interesting.

Unrelated, but here's what I need: A shrub that'll grow about 6 feet tall, with thorns that'll stop an armored humvee (and dogs). The thorns should retract when I need to trim the shrub. Dappled sun all day. The plant should be able to discuss fishing or music during its occasional haircuts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Many thanks to you all, especially the knowledgeable person who recommended Hollies. I did some research, and I see that there is a Holly called Nellie Stevens that should do just fine where I want it. There is a nursery near me that sells it, and I understand it will grow quite rapidly to 20 feet. It also responds well to pruning. While I am mostly interested in the height, I can keep it pruned so as not to extend out into my path or directly into the fence. It is sold as either a tree or a shrub depending on one's needs. Thanks all very much, and a happy gardening season to you all.

Reply to
saabdued

The message from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

I think what you're looking for, is a man. Look for the ex-services model which comes in camouflage greens with a barb-wire tattoo and its own rocket-launcher.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Or, leeetle tiny land mines. Just enough to help train every dog in the neighborhood to tell their owners to walk on the other side of the street, forever.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Get a broad with sharp, long nails.

Reply to
Jangchub

I really dislike when you promote violence against animals as some way to let their asshole owners you don't want dogs pissing on your land. Can't you can it, because this puts imprints into peoples minds and it makes killing animals some sort of entertainment.

Reply to
Jangchub

1) I can't be out there 24x7, waiting to scold humans. 2) Dogs train humans to do antisocial and illegal things. So, if I can get a message to the dogs, they will adjust the way they train their humans.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My cuckoo clock is bellowing

Reply to
Jangchub

I know. Let's substitute something else for "dogs train humans", and see if that's more palatable to you: "Humans adjust their activities for the benefit of their dogs".

Better?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes, much better. Ya see, that didn't hurt, did it? I knew you had a heart ya thug ya.

Reply to
Jangchub

Good. That's the same as training. If you did not adjust your activities to suit the dog, the dog would do things that would cause you pain and/or misery, like crap all over your carpet. When I see people walking dogs in a blizzard, with 40 mph winds and the temp at 10 degrees, I know these people are trained. They did not happily adjust their behavior.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom