Shade Privacy Tree Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2
Hello, and thanks in advance for your assistance. I am in zone 7, on Long Island, New York. I am looking for some privacy trees that would preferably grow tall and full, yet not too wide, as their location is not a very wide space (between a fence and a path). They would be in partial to almost full shade, which I know would rule out many evergreens such as arborvitae. While I prefer an evergreen suggestion, it could also be a non-evergreen, as the privacy I seek is mostly for the summer months. Thanks very much for your time and advice.
A lot of trees that tolerate full shade would be short because in their native habitat they would be and understory tree. Some would grow tall and fast after a disturbance where sunlight is increased. What are the species of trees that are there now?
Its a hard question to answer. I do not have the answer.

I can't help with plant suggestions, but whatever ideas you gather, you might want to visit this place and see if you can meet the plants "in person" before buying:
http://www.plantingfields.org /
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:17:38 -0400, "saabdued"

Check into hollies.
Right now all we have growing along that fence are shade perennials that can be easily moved. We do have a Holly tree not far away in full/mostly shade, and while not tall nor narrow, it is very healthy. Not very familiar with Hollies, but I will look into them to see if I can find one that meets our specifications. We like our neighbors but their house is very close to our fence and on a hill overlooking that area of our yard. We are just looking for something to grow a few feet taller than the six foot fence for added privacy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.
Sounds like you will want to prune whatever you get to keep it at the 6 foot fence. Its better to start pruning when the tree is young than when it is mature for controlling hieght. This if for you. You can start pruning 1 year after you plant the tree. Hope you find a suitable tree. For pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/index.html
And while I am at it here is some planting suggestions for when you find your tree of hope. http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:50:29 -0400, "saabdued"

There are literally hundreds of varieties of holly shrubs and trees. I am certain you will find one to suit your needs and they do well in shade.

Holly in shade?
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:04:13 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Yes. Holly in shade or sun. In shade doesn't grow as fast, but will flower and berry just fine. I have Yaupon and Burford and they are both doing very well in full shade.

Interesting.
Unrelated, but here's what I need: A shrub that'll grow about 6 feet tall, with thorns that'll stop an armored humvee (and dogs). The thorns should retract when I need to trim the shrub. Dappled sun all day. The plant should be able to discuss fishing or music during its occasional haircuts.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think what you're looking for, is a man. Look for the ex-services model which comes in camouflage greens with a barb-wire tattoo and its own rocket-launcher.
Janet.
contains these words:

Or, leeetle tiny land mines. Just enough to help train every dog in the neighborhood to tell their owners to walk on the other side of the street, forever.
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:20:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I really dislike when you promote violence against animals as some way to let their asshole owners you don't want dogs pissing on your land. Can't you can it, because this puts imprints into peoples minds and it makes killing animals some sort of entertainment.

1) I can't be out there 24x7, waiting to scold humans.
2) Dogs train humans to do antisocial and illegal things. So, if I can get a message to the dogs, they will adjust the way they train their humans.
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:09:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

My cuckoo clock is bellowing

I know. Let's substitute something else for "dogs train humans", and see if that's more palatable to you: "Humans adjust their activities for the benefit of their dogs".
Better?
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:58:10 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Yes, much better. Ya see, that didn't hurt, did it? I knew you had a heart ya thug ya.

Good. That's the same as training. If you did not adjust your activities to suit the dog, the dog would do things that would cause you pain and/or misery, like crap all over your carpet. When I see people walking dogs in a blizzard, with 40 mph winds and the temp at 10 degrees, I know these people are trained. They did not happily adjust their behavior.
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:48:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Get a broad with sharp, long nails.

LOL! Good thing I hadn't put my forkful into my mouth! <G>
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts