Settle an argument about plastic covers

As I wrote in another thread, I am starting seed in peat pots for the first time, out of curiosity.
I covered the trays with black plastic until the seedlings broke through.
Now a landscape architect friend has got me thinking:
My original premise: KEEP THE SEEDS IN THE DARK was exploded when he pointed out that under the ground they ARE in the dark.
Then I suggested that the black plastic would CONSERVE heat, esp. at night. (Though this is a mild area (So.Calif coastal) the nights are cooler than the day.) I used to cover seeds in the ground with black plastic till they broke through.
He exploded that one by pointed out that clear plastic would do just as well.
I have no arguments left.
Any advice out there?
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cukes and melons and zukes, etc., do much better when direct seeded.
Carrots....they best when direct seeded. Crikey, you are in SoCal, right? Isn't your growing season like...forever? Mix the carrot seed with radishes and the thinning is worked out, ie: radish harvest thins things out.
Charlie
I never made a mistake in grammar but one in my life and as soon as I done it I seen it. -- Carl Sandburg
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

BTW......You are dumber than dogshit with your posting handles and trying to be different personas, Granny.
How many different personas do you try and use? Cripes, you just gotta do *much* better in trying to be pseudo-anonymous. Stop and think about which newsgroup you are on before you poke the *SEND* button.
Charlie

Dear Miss Boson,
I apologize for Charles' gruff behavior, but not to worry, I shall have a word with him on proper newsgroup etiquette of being ingratiating and amiable;O)
Now, as to your seeds. They all need light, at least they do once they have broken the embrace of their seedling mix. There are a number of herbs that require darkness in germination, but I can't think of a vegetables that fall into that classification.
Thank you for your continued participation in our little group. Truly, we don't care about your nom de plume, be it a harlot from the Greek pantheon, some massively scalar elementary particle, or a massive Greek particle harlot, all are welcome here.
"Coloribus gustibus non disputatum", as the warden used to say.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
I apologize for my rude behavior and remarks. No excuse, other than I am often a dick, despite my best intentions.
Care Charlie

"Apologists are authors, writers, editors of scientific logs or academic journals, and leaders known for taking on the points in arguments, conflicts or positions that are either placed under popular scrutinies or viewed under persecutory examinations. The term comes from the Greek word apologia meaning a speaking in defense."
Done it many times in the past and hope to do it many times in the future. Making mistakes seems to be the opportunity to learn disguised.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

A friend of mine uses black plastic on his garden, with small circles cut out where the plants pop up. The main goal is to keep weeds from growing, and it works a treat.
Jon

Tried that last year and was unhappy that I couldn't spot water, and when the plant touched the plastic, it got fried. Clear plastic generates higher temps than does black plastic.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber/Extension/Progress%20Rpt%2000/redmul ch.pdf
http://lubbock.tamu.edu/horticulture/documents/EffectsofPlasticMulchTypeo nTomatoGrowthandYield_2004_.pdf
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
I use plastic covers to keep the humidity up. Without them, I would have to water far more frequently. I take the covers off as soon as the plants have a leaf; at that time I think too much humidity can be a problem.
I use clear plastic so I can see what is happening. I think black might provide a little more heat (solar water heating installations encourage black to get more heat from the sun), but I wouldn't think the heat increase would be enough to matter.
I have some kind of beast that eats my pepper seedlings when I plant them, so I borrow my wife's Mason jars and put one over each plant for a few days; once the plant is a little established, the beast doesn't seem to bother them, and the heat on a nice sunny day can cook the plant.