Senior Moment

Page 3 of 3

jangchub wrote:

OK, I give up. What's a nozzle head?

You must think you are talking to a novice. I have been growing a Honey Crisp tree for several years now, along with many other heritage apples and other fruits. You won't find organic orchardists growing these varieties because they haven't come up with an adequate organic substitute to protect them. They are growing apple varieties like Liberty and Williams Pride, which I consider adequate tasting apples. However, I like the older heritage apples, and those grown more for taste than for disease resistance. Maybe you can tolerate some rotten apples. I can't, and I feel that they can be grown safely with chemicals, if used properly. There are some abuses of chemicals, and I believe that like all other environmental problems they should be addressed. At his time, I don't think banning chemicals is the right solution. I practice a combination of organic and chemical fruit growing trying to minimize my chemical spraying. I'm not ready to give up the use of chemicals, yet.
Sherwin

I never said there was no profit in it. In light of the prices they are charging for organically labeled produce, there must be a big profit in it. You don't specify what kinds of things you grow. There are certain varieties of fruit that are less likely to be attacked by fungus or insects.
jangchub wrote:

glass bottles. Organic for a decade maybe, on the tiniest fraction of their wine. IMHO a marketing ploy. They are having an identity crisis ever since their label designer told them that the main problem with their label was the name, "Gallo".
Don't get locked into a label. Every year the wine changes. Last year's great wine is this year's ho-hum. There are lots of good cheap wines out there. Cheap is where Gallo came in but they have ambition$. If I buy a wine for $5 and it's bad, I'll either add Canada Dry to it for a cooler or cook with it. If I spend $20 for a bottle of wine and it's bad, I'm inconsolable. Find a good cheap wine and buy as many cases as you can. Spending more than $10/bottle just shows you have more money than sense.
Chateau Ausone sells for $750/bottle. It would just be your luck that your bottle was "corked".
So if you find that, indeed, you are an idiot for buying an expensive wine that is bad, don't feel bad. There are lots of others out there with you.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)