Semi-Dwarf Citrus in AZ

I posted this question last year and some really helpful person who lives near me replied, so I hope you are still here!!
I have a Semi-Dwarf Lemon and one Orange tree. We live in the Phoenix suburbs and this year they are both overflowing with fruit. I don't know when I should pick them and what the signs are. I tasted one of the oranges but they lack sweetness and taste more lemony than orange.
Can anyone help?
TIA, CY
There are many varieties of the Orange and several are not very sweet. Some are grown only for effect [they look splendid] and others for marmalade etc. Make a decision after the first fruit falls naturally~ when the ultimate taste will have been achieved. Some streets in Italian villages are lined with splendid looking trees but are inedible to ensure they are not attractive to children!! Best wishes.

I am pretty sure they are not ornamentals - I will be mad if they are as I paid good money for an "orange" tree. Any idea how long it will be before the fruit falls naturally?

Some can remain for very many weeks which is why they can be so ornamental. Try waiting till one feels softish and has an increased smell. I have had an Orange that looked so splendid that I was made to purchase rather than destroy its appearance. If they are going to be sweet you will soon find out~~if not then enjoy the appearance. Best Wishes.

the peel becomes puffy when on the tree too long, but might still taste ok.

My lemons still don't seem to be ready. The lemonade is still way too sour for anyone but me to drink.
Nothing has fallen off the tree yet but it is covered with yellow.
In Chandler AZ, http://www.evliving.com / http://www.vegetablegardening.us /