Selecting fruit for seeds

When selecting fruits, cucumbers in this case, does it matter if the fruit is not the best the vine has produced? I have my last cucs coming in now. I plan to save some seeds for next year. But they are all fairly small fruits compared to my earlier harvests. Does it matter?
So you just clean them and then dry them, right?
Paul M. Cook wrote:

No. What matters is the genes that the fruit carries (so the progeny will be good) and that the fruit is ripe and the seeds are viable.
I have my last cucs

Yep
David