Seedsaving...Correcting brooklyn1/sheldon

Plantain is also great for bee stings and various itchy bites. I make a salve every year with plantain, yarrow, chickweed, calendula and comfrey in a base of olive oil and beeswax. Good for lots of things, including dog bites.
Off to see if the lawnmower has gas....
Kate

Now, if you could just leave behind the memory of the herb in the water, you might have something.
--

- Billy
In article

1x 10 x 30 c 1000 yada yada just a means to focus mind. Placebo organized with no harm. Works here at our house but some perfer folks with white coats and stethoscopes and industrial labs. Sort of similar to organic issues in a strange way. Health to purchase vs. heath aKA health given to maintain . Intervention or what I'd suggest is get out of the way and trust what we got .
Bill weird yes?
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

Personally, I always thought normal was over rated ;O) I see it like IPM. First line of defense is a healthy organism. Unhealthy food and Big Pharma seem to have replaced the four horsemen, at least for the time. Like Pollan said, we don't have a cultural context for our eating. We are in a brave new world where most of the old cultural practices have been abandoned, and we have sweet, satisfying, non-nutritious food substitutes vying for the consumer's dollar. Poor nutrition weakens the organism.
Seems most health problems can be avoided or fixed with plants grown organically.
See: <<www.unitedmedicalnetwork.com/researchdocs/ Organic%20vs%20Comm%20Foods.doc>> and remember that flavanoids may be the next big break through in nutrition. According to Pollan, organic plants without pesticids (duh) have more flavonoids.
I'm also a big fan of placebos or at least giving the mind a seat at the table.
But the homeopathy with it's special shakes and near infinite dilutions? Eeeeh, I don't know. I'm willing to look and listen though.
--

- Billy

What homeopathy remedy do you recommend for hypothyroidism?

I'd recommend finding a local homeopath. They would take your case which can take hours. The idea is to find a remedy that causes your signs. Not only physical ones like for example brittle hair but including mental issues like anxiety etc. Hypothyroidism would not be mentioned just the signs or images which can be looked up in a Repertory pointing to a remedy. This a Kentian prospective. Like cures like. Homeopathy is a difficult art to master. We use it for simple cases in our family and have a real doctor as well.
Bill
Here is a place to start . Check out the reviews if interested.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 71951/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid39875644&sr=1-5>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

They don't use blood tests? If not, how would they even know if someone suffers from hypothyroidism? The symptoms can mimic other conditions. How do they replace the missing thyroid hormones? How many are cured by homeopathy of this condition? That is using blood work as proof, not guessing or taking someone's testimonial?

He said, see a professional homeopath, idiot. How do you know a homeopath won't request a diagnosis from an allopathic doctor, idiot. He says he uses it in simple cases and he communicates with his allopathic doctor, idiot. What do we have here, idiot? The morphing of a head case into a full blown stupid troll? In any event, learn to read, idiot.
I'm already treating one idiot (Dioclese, bwahahahahahaha) but your diagnosis is free, idiot.
God, you're really stoopid.
--

- Billy

I hate to break it to you Kate but you aren't a "Biodynamic" gardener because you don't follow faithfully follow the strictures of the faith. However, you seem to be a damn fine gardener in heart and mind. There needs to be more like you.
--

- Billy

Actually, it's a mnemonic device. The reasoning being that a memorable event might trigger avoidance behavior in the future, and have the poster actually think before asking. I know. I'm a real Pollyanna but one can hope. The flippant answer would be that it sometimes takes a 2" X 4" to get their attention. But, honestly, the planet IS going to hell in a hand basket because consumers pay to poison the planet. There are huge dead zones in the sewer that used to be the oceans. 90% of the fish in the sea are history. Farmed fish and animals from Confined Animal Feeding Operations, ethical considerations aside, seem to be making people sick. The water is full of chemicals from industrial waste, to agricultural run-off, to birth control hormones. You got wackos who drive there dune buggies through the most fragile environment in the world because it's fuun or dump their used motor oil in a hole or down a ravine and think nothing of the consequences. Until harming the environment is seen to be as stupid as smoking there won't be much of a chance for the planet. I know in a civilized world you would be right, and if I said,"you know that there are consequences to your behavior, Sir", and a constructive conversation may be engaged. But it seems as if we live in a post civilized world where everyone is just interested in their own wants. Fall-out from the Ayn Rand mob, who thinks that the greatest good will be attained if everyone is selfish.
Think you could help me with the sleeves on my camisole?
--

- Billy

Obviously, I agree with Charlie 100% and recommend Seedsavers.org and the book Seed to Seed (Amazon.com product link shortened) 424581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid39652688&sr=1-1
This isn't as easy as falling off a log however, if you wonder why we would want to keep Monsanto and their ilk from having a monopoly over the food you eat, you should also read the sites below.
http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/11-dangers-of-genetic ally-modified-food-confirmed/
http://www.naturalnews.com/023254.html
http://www.percyschmeiser.com/RRCanola%20Returns.htm
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/05/monsanto200805
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm Fedco also has a handy guide for saving seeds. http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/seed_saving.htm
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/whoOwnsLifeNotMonsanto.php
Additionally, there seems to be much wisdom in Michael Pollans book, "Omnivore's Dilemma". Factory farmed food seems to be bad for people. There are other culture that eat more meat than American's yet have none of our health problems. The answer seems to lie in what wild animals eat as opposed to what they are given to eat in Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). Anecdotally, after many years of avoiding eggs and having high cholesterol, I started eating eggs from "real free range" chickens. My cholesterol has never been lower than it is now. I make no claims. I'm only telling you what I see.
Save this post, read it at your leisure, enjoy your garden and your table.
--

- Billy

Yer killin' me, bro! My log has gone missing....remember?

Good links.

Sometime this spring, I plan on doing a Pollan type thing in that I plan on eating, for a week, only what I grow or wild harvest. Cattail time is near as well as mushroom, fishing, etc....
Came up with a copy of Stalking the Wild Asparagus this winter.
Pollan seems to have nailed it. One might make the same assumptions about butter and dairy, let alone meat, from grass-fed cows.
It seems to be a lot about the omegas, but even more importantly, I feel, is the whole food/real food issue...also meaning that said food is grown in/on healthy soil, not dirt with NPK added.
Polyface Farms, covered by Michael, is a prime example of this...
--
Charlie

"The garden suggests there might be a place where we can meet nature

Pollan said that first we recognized the importance of protein, fats, and carbohydrates in the diet. Then we found that was to simple and added vitamins and minerals. Pollan suspects that flavonoids need to be added as well. Not to mention eating more leaves and things that eat leaves.
--

- Billy

Pishie? *Pishie*? Today I learned a new word!
Thank you.
Charlie, who just started the season's first batch of compost tea

Charlie, is this based on results or the conviction that it can't hurt? You know me. I'll let you go out on point, until I know it's safe ;O)
And what's with rec.gardens.organic? I've rebuilt my "full group list" and all there is is bamboo, ecosystems, orchids, roses, edible, and "wrecked gardens". I can't even post until I remove rec.gardens.organic from the newsgroups line. What gives?
--

- Billy

Well, last years stuff looked really good, especially the pots.....
What can be unsafe about compost tea? Have a little "faith", Brother William! ;-) Catdaddy cain't be wrong, dude!
Besides, it smells good, is fun to brew......and you get to wear this really cool hat and chant and dance about. Mystery and magic, bro.

Hmmm.....I'll stop that then. Your server must not carry the organic group. Sorry for the extra work and the pain-in-the-ass factor. Sorry to you others also. This may explain the lack of activity in organic.......no one is carrying it.
Later.... the sun is shinin', it's 'sposed to break the seventy barrier.....gonna get me redneck on today!!!!!
Charlie

Your news server doesn't carry it, and won't allow a post to a group it doesn't know about. The one earthlink outsources to does.

Often one can request their news provider to add a group. I've done this with newsguy and supernews, when they were in business.
Some can be sticklers about having a control message archived and won't add a group until this is done. It's a frickin' bitch project to get it right. I couldn't get it right for one group added to supernews and had the help of several oldtimers who did it for me.
Musicheads.
It's worth a request.
Charlie

You're Yiddish is awful. Pish is a verb, to piss... a pisher is a young child (either sex), usually in diapers. A pishie is the male organ for pissing, there is no female counterpart in Yiddish (not in English either)... I hate to break it to you but females don't have peckers, unless you mean your plastic vibrating thingie. I suppose the closest is knish, pronounced k'nish, the vagina. The baked filled dumpling is properly called knishes, as in Mrs Stahl's Knishes. If the sign said Mrs Stahl's Knish it would be a shanda - shame/disgrace, and make the front page of every NYC newspaper. I know folks ask for a kasha knish all the time, but as long as it's dignified by what type of knishes (potato knish) it's acceptible, everyone knows a potato doesn't have a vagina...maybe Mrs. Potatohead.

Booklet from Johnny's $2.00 plus shipping
<http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=s aving&item77&category)2&subcategory)9>
Bill