Seeds in the news

I've always tried to maintain seed vitality by keeping them dry and at about 60 F. The with open pollinated and hybrids. I'd check by soaking 10 seeds in a wet paper towel to check on viability. This served me well. Now I hear that Norway just opened up a seed bank in which the seeds will be frozen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_saving
How do you care for your seeds?
Bill
Then found this disturbing abuse of a people's food supply.
Whew ...wonder if is going to be law here too??
http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/iraq_seeds.htm
"As part of sweeping "economic restructuring" implemented by the Bush Administration in Iraq, Iraqi farmers will no longer be permitted to save their seeds. Instead, they will be forced to buy seeds from US corporations -- which can include seeds the Iraqis themselves developed over hundreds of years. That is because in recent years, transnational corporations have patented and now own many seed varieties originated or developed by indigenous peoples. In a short time, Iraq will be living under the new American credo: Pay Monsanto, or starve. "
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

I put the seeds, with an equal weight of silica gel dessicant, in an airtight container for seven days, remove seeds from silica, then seal them in an airtight container and store in the freezer. Theoretically they will stay viable for.......a long time. Four year old seeds from my freezer germinate fine.

Can you say monsanto and cargill and adm and many other foul names and not so strange bedfellows?
Control the food supply and you control the population.

Just a few links on the subject of the seed vault and seed saving
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/02/24/7264 /
http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid 18
http://alternet.org/environment/11417 /
Charlie

Sounds like a threat to monsanto and cargill and adm's purloined profit$.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

What with the biofuel debacle unfolding, and the profit incentives, and the absolute lack of power and influence that "the people" hold (not to mention the abject failure of the educational system over the last few decades), the aforementioned rapists have little about which to worry.
Yet, many of us will not go into that dark night........
Watch yer back and keep your.... *seeds* dry, old buddy.
Charlie

And this is what we are talking about. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1717572,00.html
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague

I'll see your riot article and raise you a ration article!
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/451604c4-e30b-11dc-803f-0000779fd2ac.html
"Got Seed?" Charlie

No seed but got lots of good 30 year old hand tools. Some traditional Japanese .
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
In article

And strange but true, Iraq's pre-war seed storage was done in a place called Abu Ghraib. How the spirit of the place must have changed painfully from life to death.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

Forgot to add this link that pertains to what you ask.
http://www.grain.org/seedling/?idA1
Charlie

Meaning to ask how you got your BP under control. If possible post here or send it to snipped-for-privacy@snip.net.
Bill
160/100 and hurt by previous drugs.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
In article

Did you try the prunella (self-heal)?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
In article

I have it as a herb suffused in alcohol. Plan on growing it and adding to our salads.
Billy seems to done really well.
Envious Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
In article

Meant to say Charlie did well. Brain dead Bill
7 hours on heart bypass stuff.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
In article

Sounds like you're making rounds too often.
I didn't have any trouble with drugs except getting a bottle of wine smuggled in so that I could wash down what the hospital called food. I have no idea how long I was out. Middle of the the afternoon to the middle of the night is all I remember. Damned near bled me out. Wife's cousin in Germany had his operation and then went to a convalescent hospital for six weeks. Me they wanted to throw out on the sidewalk after the first day but because I lost so much blood they had to keep me over an extra day, whoopee. Now I have a huge scar, something they call a mattress stitch.
Last 10 years have all been free ones. Too your health.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
In article

All I do is put maybe 20 leaves or six flowered spikes into to a standard pitcher of water, wait a couple of hours and then have a couple of glasses a day. It is good for two days. I usually add some lemon and mint when I can. I bought a half pound dried bulk and except for tasting like hay it does the trick. Track your BP to figure out how much of your regular meds you can cut back. My doctor doesn't seem to care as long as my numbers are good. Self heal is a vasodilator.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague

Yeah, I suffered from drugs also, that's why I gave them up long ago. I'd rather die from the ailment than from the *cure*.
Anyhow, I adopted a shotgun approach with herbs. I targeted BP, but all of them also have many other beneficial effects. Mind you, I not a "trained herbalist", just self-edgykated. What anyone does, is "at their own risk". I am not afraid to experiment on myself and I only tell others of the results that I have experienced. Contact a trained alternative healer if need be.
Here's the list:
Hawthorne Berry Turmeric Nettle Leaf Nettle Root Dandelion Leaf Dandelion Root Astragalus Siberian Ginseng Couch Grass Parsley Yarrow Goto Kola Cat's Claw Bark Fenugreek Kudzu Root ** Stevia Leaf Valerian Root
All are powdered herb, purchased bulk, and blended together in proportions that I determined and I take three TBSP mixed in warm water 3X daily. Ya' gotta be determined and get past the gritty. The taste is not bad, IMO.
**As it turns out, kudzu root has a benefit in dealing with alcholism and aiding in moderation and there are several studies available dealing with this. Also, many of the herbs, turmeric especially, are powerful anticancer substances.
Arthritis has nearly quit hurting also.
I also take 1 tsp. cayenne in water 2x-3x daily. Psyllium husk daily.
Milk thistle, ginko extract and St. John's standardized daily, along with magnesium and assorted vitamins and supplements. I also use NoSalt as a potassium supplement. I shoot for a daily amount, including food sources, of 4 grams. 1/4 tsp in the palm and chase with water. I also am drinking *lots* of filtered water.
Bitter Melon decoction daily has decreased FBS from 120 to 92.
I also have a pound of abuta powder, but it tastes so damned awful that I haven't used it much yet. It contains natural ACE inhibitors.
Should I start walking daily, and shuck even more pounds, I would assume even graeter benefit.
When you research the herbs, you will find that many of them have diuretic properties and cardiovascular strenghtening and toning properties and circulation enhancing properties. It may take several months to realize the benefits of some of them.
I feel so much better than I did last fall. I probabably haven't covered it well...ask away if needed.
Care Charlie

Forgot, and must add...fresh garlic cloves...as much as you and yours can tolerate, plus some.
Charlie
NY Times article on Noway seed vault.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/world/europe/29seeds.html?pagewanted=1 & _r=1&hp
or