Seeds

Is there really a difference between Wal mart seeds and Seed company seeds? MJ

Reply to
mj

Walmart seeds say Packed by Burpee.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I'm really not sure if it matters all that much or not as to where you would get the seeds. I'd look more at what type of tomato I'm trying to grow for the area I live. I find that some tomatoes do much better in my garden than others and I start them all from seed indoors six to eight weeks before I set them out in the garden. I also amend my soil with a slow release granular fertilizer about two weeks before planting. Then I push two tomato spikes into the soil for each plant at time of planting. One tomato that works real well for me here in central Pennsylvania year after year is Jet Star. I water my plants using city water which I'm sure is full of chemicals but I never tested the ph of the water. I give each plant two gallons a week if we don't get rain. I also plant them very deep when I set them in the garden. Just about

2/3s of the plant or more in the soil. They will develop roots all along the stem that makes for a good strong root system. I also stake my plants for support and prune them to one or two main stems. Welcome to the group, glad you could join us :)

Happy Gardening ............ Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN

Yes.

.. but the difference is not in the seed package ..

.. when you pose a gardening question to your Wall-sMart customer service associate -

... as opposed to your local garden center / farm supply / feed & seed folks ...

.. the difference is very evident.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I will not buy seeds from Walmart again. We planted peas, all 60 of them in the pkg and only about 5 of them even sprouted. We have used other seeds from them in the past and very few germinated.

Your call of course, but I work too hard to prepare the garden and get things planted to mess with poorly performing products. We go to an Agway and have all of our seeds produce. Good Luck. Nanzi

Reply to
Nanzi

There can be, yes. The seed packets have a year marked on them. WalMart can sell old seed packets if they want, reputable seed companies that sell through thier internet site or catalog will only sell fresh seeds. Good seed companies are Select Seeds, Parks Seeds, Burpee. There are others, these are the ones whose catalogs I've recieved so far this year.

Reply to
Fran

Walmart is not a seed company, in fact Walmart produces nothing, they sell other company's products under original name or their own label. Walmart seeds are packaged by Burpee (says Burpee on the package), the same exact packaging but printed with a lower price... they are in fact Burpee seeds. I bought some last year and had no problems. However if one buys end of season seeds (usually marked down substantially) they may be past their prime, that's true of any company's seeds. But I've purchsed various end of season seeds as well as using seeds I've saved for several years and they grow just fine. When properly storaged seeds can remain viable forever.

Reply to
Brooklyn1