Seedlings in an aquarium

I've been giving some thought to getting my hands on a couple of cheap aquariums & starting my seedlings out in them. Has anyone else done this ? How did it work out ? I figured I could just the plants inright on the bottom w/an inch or two of water in the bottom & lights over the top running on a timer. Feedback appreciated.
-thanks James