"Seed pod" on a Christmas cactus

After last year's blooms, one of my Christmas cactuses developed an odd growth. It appears to be a seed pod.
I have been growing Christmas cactuses since 1961, and I have never seen anything like this before. Has anyone else seen it? Any ideas what's the plant is doing?
Here's a picture of the mysterious growth. (The remains of the flower are still attached, although all of the others have fallen off.)
http://www.amphigoricbooks.com/pix/07-08-03%20Christmas%20cactus.jpg
Here's a picture of the same plant, or another from the same original stock, taken last November.
http://www.amphigoricbooks.com/pix/PB189604.JPG
(Each picture is about 1.3 MB.)

Fruiting?

Yup, it's in fruit. Don't know whether it will develop more, or whether this is just fruit development without viable seeds. Watch and wait!
Kay
says...

I am curious as to how old the plant is?
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Yes, it is a seed pod and rare. Let it shrivel on the plant till the seeds are dry and plant them. This usually happens under controlled conditions in a greenhouse, so consider this plant very happy.
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:37:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG
About 45 years old. I brought it with me as a cutting when my family returned to Chicago from a year spent in California. I was 11.