Seed life

Page 3 of 4
On 05/30/2014 05:57 PM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
I have noticed the overlap too.
To your body, carbs are the same thing a sugar. That bowl of pasta, rice, bean, potatoes, corn, to your body, is exactly the same as eating a bowl of sugar.
Now if you are one five out of six that is not going to get Diabetes eating the stuff, go for it.
When I went to the ER (emergency room) and got diagnosed, I had just finished a great big bowl of spaghetti. I didn't know any better, I believed the Special interests and the bull poop about "healthy carbs" (there is no such thing).
The food part of Paleo just gets you off the artificially hybridized for carbohydrates foods. For instance, flour is mainlining sugar. (You can sugar pecan flour or coconut flour. And, exciting new, coffee flour. It is made from the pulp of the berry, not the bean and has little carbs and almost no caffeine.)
Basically, you have to start cooking again. Freeze your stuff and thaw later for fast food. Stay away from the food like substances and processed (cured) meats. And lots and lots of variety. Pretty much what you said.
If you must eat fast food, get a rotatory chicken. (Better to get and organic one and cook it your self. But as I said before, don't obsess on it.)
I have to disagree with you on the "just another way to sell books" and Paleo. It just pokes the special interests in the eyes. And, you are correct, there will always those that will want to profit.
Mark Sisson is the one I follow and he has been at it all his life (a Diabetic since his teens). Mark offers his advice free of charge. (You can buy his books if you want, but all his info is freely posted.)
Here is his web site: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
Oh man, he just posted a recipe posted for "Better Than Fried Chicken with Coconut Aminos Dipping Sauce":
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/better-than-fried-chicken-with-coconut-aminos-dipping-sauce/
And bean in mind that "fad" typically only last a few months. I have been on it for over a year and a half. And it got me off those idiot nasty drugs. I live a normal life. There is no longer any danger of my feet falling off, my kidneys dying, my heart failing, I have stopped losing weight, etc..
I don't live in fear anymore. And I eat so, so well !!! A lot of Mark's followers have been on it for years. I will be on it the rest of my life. (I may be able to add a few more carbs, and I really mean only a few, after my pancreas heals all back up.)
One of the favorite drugs (a controlled dosage of a poison) the allopaths like to use for Diabetes is Metformin. Among about 30 other side effects they won't tell you about (you have to go on line) is that is turns you into a ass hole (sorry for the swearing, it is the best way to describe it). You think everyone is picking on you and you strike back. I am so glad that part of my life is gone. (So is my wife!)
You "must" (friend for "should", not a command), go read Mark's Paleo Blue Print, if only to read the titles of the 10 steps, which will take under a minute. It is so close to what you speak of:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/
And the food, the food, the food, the food!
I am trying to add Eggplant to my cherry tomatoes in this year's (organic, of course) garden. I planted Russian garlic and Dutch shallots too. This home grown stuff makes my eyes roll in my head it is so good. Especially now that I am off the unnatural amounts of carbs and can ACTUALLY TASTE MY FOOD!
DRUG FREE AND ALLOPATH FREE SINCE SEPTEMBER 2013!!!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Fran Farmer wrote:

a lot of it comes down to a few needs of a packaged food and of course money. keep it from rotting for a long time and keep it palatable while sitting on a shelf for months at a time. sugars, salts, additives to keep fats stable, keep moisture in the product and not out condensing on the inside of the packaging. and then the money factor where the added ingredients are often cheaper.

i'm glad you made it through the treatments.

wow!

the large salad keeps me feeling full all night. i joke about how much exercise i get just eating it. normally, with a very dense food with a lot of calories, i can eat way too fast (two minutes or less) and that makes it easy to overdo it. with the large bowl of salad i can't eat it that fast and the calories are much less.
songbird
On Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:50:46 AM UTC-7, songbird wrote:

Fran, was that you who wrote about "full tummmy at night"?
Now I'm nobody to preach, but I have read studies on weight as follow: Sub jects in group A ate their last meal around 3 PM. Subjects in Group B ate their last meal at 6 pm. Subjects in Group C ate their last meal at 9 PM. ISTR the 3:00 group lost the most weight, followed by the 6, with 9 coming in last. Supposedly the slower metabolism at night doesn't work as hard.

HAH! So true! I'm a carb freak and have to fight to make myself prepare d ark green vegs, though I love my broccoli when I finally make it. Unlike on e of our former Presidents:
"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid an d my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.
George H. W. Bush"
As to longer consumption times <g> for breakfast, I usually eat Scotch oats -- the granular ones -- but sometimes I'll take the time to build a choppe d salad of whatever's around, sprinkled with Israeli feta cheese and lemon juice from my tree. (Mouth watering; must hastily log off...)
HB
On 05/31/2014 06:50 AM, songbird wrote:

1+
I would add carbs to that because they are so cheap and addictive. And chemicals out the wazoo. And MSG under 99 other names (yeast extract, torula yeast, etc.) to add to the addition factor.
My gosh, you can even buy a bottle of pickles! Good news on that front: Raley's and Trader Joe's have organic ones. Use Turmeric for color.
By the way, when I started reading labels, I found that "low fat" meant "higher carb". I always go for the "Full Fat" now. (I just make sure it is organic, so I don't get a lot of nasty chemicals masked off in the fat.)
By the way, there is strong evidence that low fat dairy, not normal fat, are those ones causing a lot of the dairy problems. Here is a nice article on it:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-common-arguments-against-dairy-consumption-explored/
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
George Shirley wrote:

i've always seen recommendations to include a variety of types in a patch to encourage good fruit setting/filling. my own experience here bears that out.
as we don't have a formal compost pile to put scraps in i put them in the worm bins, but after several years of having squash and melon seeds pushing up through my other seedlings i decided the past few years to separate as much out as i can before putting things in the worm bins and to put the seeds into only one of the worm bins (that one doesn't go out into the gardens each spring).
as most squash seeds are great when roasted i've taken to squeezing them out of the pulp (do not add any water) and drying them on a tray before rubbing the last bits of stuff off them. i have a good supply now for planting. if we had more empty fields about i'd be scattering them in those to see if i can get a wild population established. i'm hoping i can get out in the back area (on the other side of the large drainage ditch) and scatter a bunch of squash and melon seeds back there. likely most of them will be animal food, but that's ok...
songbird
Higgs Boson wrote:

If you're eating foods that come in a package printed with a list of ingredients then you're eating poison.

Sage is one herb I don't care for. Someone who doesn't use herbs and spices... your typical TIADer (Taste In Ass Disease'er) who thinks drive thru mystery meat burgers are the be all to end all. When I cook a stew, soup, meat loaf, etc. it may contain 30+ ingredients. I never eat any ground meat that I didn't grind myself. Why do the number of ingredients matter?!?!? My spice, herb, and dehy locker must contain over 300 ingredients... at least a dozen dried mushrooms, and as many dried peppers. If you consume previously ground pepper rather than grinding your own peppercorns then you are consuming roach parts and rodent turds. If you eat previously ground mystery meat you are eating diseased food, it contains cancers that are not picked out. Cut up chicken parts comes from diseased chickens, the diseased parts go to make pet food. 99.9% of the food info you hear about on TV or read is 100% myth and lies dreamed up by pinheads. There is no such thing as organic foods, not on this planet.... organic food is a scam to rip off those with more dollars than brain cells.
On Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:36:51 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I was using the word "sage" to denote a wise person. So a food "sage" would be somebody who knows a lot about food.
HB
On 1/06/2014 6:36 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I wrote the above para. I DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING regardless of what the attributions say.:
You got that right! Go into Vons or Ralphs

Higgs Boson wrote:

Silly generalisation. The concept is that you don't eat factory produced food with a list of processed food-like substances and chemicals as long as your arm. The trouble is this leaves out a vast amount of perfectly healthy home-cooked cuisine as well. How do you make a good Indian curry with 5 ingredients?
It's like the bloke (Polan?) who said don't eat any food your grandmother had never heard of. The intent is good: to leave out all those chemicals. My grandmother had never heard of garlic or zucchini or fresh ginger wholemeal bread. Another silly generalisation.

Hi David,
1+ It doesn't matter what the number of ingredients are AS LONG AS THEY ARE FOOD!
Ever look at the chemicals on a bottle of salad dressing? Yikes!
-T

:-)) Indeed. No curry with only 5 ingredients would be worth eating.

:-)) Indeed that IS a generalisation that is not particularly useful IMO.
Todd wrote: ...

i did check his site. reads very similar to a lot of other things i've read, so yeah, to me it's a rehash, repackaged, represented and basically the same sort of thing you would get from anyone who keeps up on these sorts of topics.
songbird
On 5/31/2014 1:37 AM, Fran Farmer wrote:

Metabolism can be generalized for groups of people, but there are always outliers. IOW, there are always people who are different than normal. I hate people who think that just because they have a diet of rabbit poop, yogurt, and spring water, and they are somewhat healthy, it is the key to life and anyone who doesn't toe the line is crazy.
Some particular food and cooking groups online are particularly contentious, having a ruling cabal of six or eight individuals who control the whole group. Pounding newcomers or anyone who does things different into submission. the name brooklyn comes to mind. I stopped going there after a time, figuring out that people who knew everything had nothing to learn from me.
Steve
On 06/02/2014 09:29 AM, SteveB wrote:

Hi Steve,
Depends on what you mean by "outlines". Currently, the odds of you getting T2 Diabetes is one out of six. If you listen to the American Diabetes Association, it is trending to one out of three. (Consider though that they had their hand out stretch for money when they said that, so a healthy distrust in called for.) This is not "wackos". This is a serious, serious health issue. It will first maim you, then kill you.
And, I do get it. Carbs makes us happy. To have someone come along and tell you to cut back to an ancestral diet quantity of the things is ruining all the fun in your life. (It isn't. Once you learn to cook more naturally, the food is even more fun.)
If you want to run the risk of T2 Diabetes, go ahead with the unnatural amounts of carbs. The odds are in your favor.
Don't let it go too far though. Stop before you damage your heart, eyes, kidneys, and start having body parts fall off. Huge swings in blood sugar and insulin to cope will damager T0's (short for non-diabetics) too, although not as much as you come back down a lot faster.
You will especially love the remarks about you doing it to yourself because you sit on your fat ass and eat too much (fat bigots that know nothing about Diabetes).
By the way, I don't feel like a "victim". I feel like a "fool". I have a healthy distrust of special interests and big government. I should have know better.
Anyway, my life is so much better than my high carb days: I have learned(ing) to cook, I garden (grow or catch it yourself), I get to go fishing a lot (exercise), I am closer to my family, and I feel better than I have in years. And, I can actually taste my food again.

I have experienced that too. I especially love the enforcers that jump in your poop for straying a bit off topic, except when they want to talk about their cats. Yikes.
I have been really happy with this group of Paleos:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum7.html
Very supportive of the diabetes -- very helpful and friendly, plus no snots. A bunch of them just helped me with Primal Muossaka this week. It came out really well! I am hoping to have some egg plant from my garden this year for this recipe.
And, remember that paranoids can have enemies too. Sometimes folks like me actually have a point. I am not saying these things to piss you off and tear that piece of pizza out of your mouth mid bite, I am trying to protect/help/warn others.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 5/30/2014 7:04 AM, songbird wrote:

Well, they certainly have been doing a good job getting our school children to eat a healthy balanced diet, and intercepting the dangerous contraband pb&j lunches (with cheetos) smuggled in from home.
Steve

I'd hate to see what you consider obsessing.
--
Drew Lawson | I'd like to find your inner child
| and kick its little ass
Todd wrote:

All the brassicas have a fairly strong flavour. To enjoy them (and this includes kale)
- get the right cultivar - grow it well and pick it at the right time - cook it appropriately
Having said that it doesn't always work out. Personal preference, which includes our eating history back to mother's milk, may be impossible to overcome. I don't like broccolli, my wife does. We compromise and have it sometimes.
Try young fresh-cut kale leaves (cut out the ribs) torn into bits in a mixed salad. The pungency might work quite well with other milder veges.
David

Hi David,
The local organic farmer picked some special for me. Cook them with olive oil and salt. My wife loved them. I stuck my tongue under the faucet.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Dear god! They are poisoning out kids with, um, fresh vegetables?

So says the person who claims that carbohydrates are poison. You must have found that rare carb-free carrot.

I have to wonder under which circumstances (in your anti-TheMan life) you have spent lots of time tasting penicillin.
I don't recall taking the time to savor the flavor. It was a pill, and I swallowed it, and moved on. Clearly you have had more frequent treatments?
Though I don't know what penicillin itself is used for anymore. Most interesting things are resistant to that.
--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |
On 06/02/2014 08:34 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Hi Drew,
Cooked to a paste. How in the world do you consider that fresh? I bet a cock roach wouldn't even eat it!
And, pay more attention, it is the type and preparation I am criticizing, not fresh vegis. Remember I am Diabetic/Paleo, I eat meat and plants (except the artificially hybridized ones for carbs).
There are a bazillion other alternatives to pulverized kale they could have fed them. I don't blame them for tossing them in the trash.

There isn't. You have to ration them. And I never said to be carb free. I said to be low carb (under 100 grams per day for healthy individuals) if you want to avoid T2 Diabetes. You need to read more closely.
Fortunately, by the time your jaws get tied of crunching on carrots, you are under your allocation. Cooked carrots you have to be careful with. I use them in my home made broths are a flavoring. Home made broths are good for you (cave man ate marrow), not the chemistry set garbage from the store.

They got stuck on my tongue trying to swallow them. YUK YUK YUK KALE!

Had some problems with my teeth. You don't forget the taste of KALE in your antibiotics!
-T

--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped