Seed collecting

Hi All, I have grown my own annual bedding plants for some time now however, this will be the first time I collect seeds from my annuals for growing next year. Marigolds, Impatiens, Zinnias, and the like. From the seed collectors in the group, is it best to collect seeds early in the growing season or late in the growing season (or does it matter)?

Any other tips would also be appreciated! Thanks.

Cheers Buzzy :)

Reply to
Buzzy

IT does not matter when in the season you collect the seeds as long as they are fully mature. Since for zinnias and marigolds, you must keep cutting off the flowers as they die in order to get more flowers (deadheading), you must stop deadheading at least some plants well before the end of the season (frost), to allow time for the seeds to mature.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

Wait until the seeds are dry on most plants, just so that you don't end-up misjudging when they're mature. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword