seddlings have thin stems

I have planted seeds in growing trays. I was wondering why some of the plants seem to have a very thin stem at the soil level. The rest of the plant stem is thick but the thinning of the stems seems like it will not support the plants and some of them are falling over. I use a floresent lighting system after the seeds have germinated. Thanks in advance Tim

Sounds like you may be dealing with "damping off", a fungal disease of seedlings. Try increasing both the relative humidity and air circulation around the seedlings, or use a fungicide on the seedlings. http://www.hort.uconn.edu/IPM/greenhs/htms/dampingofgh.htm
Some gardeners report success from watering with room-temperature chamomile tea or sprinkling with cinnamon.

milled sphagnum works too