Seattle's Street Margins

Paghat wrote in an earlier post, <<Today the city of Seattle put out an announcement for everyone to water their street margins' trees >> ____Reply Separator_____ Street margin? Is this the strip between the curb and the sidewalk? In our locale (Pittsburgh, Pa. metropolitan area) we call this the Devil Strip. It doesn't belong to you, but your responsible for it's upkeep and maintenance.
On 21 Aug 2003 13:46:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) opined:

None of my land belongs to me. It's all on loan. Either way, I removed all the grass from the "parkway" (what they call it in Texas) and planted it with Gaura lindheimeriii, 3 cedar elms, Muhlinburgia lindheimerii (sp?) and D. inoxia.
No mow, no water, no nothing. They can have it whenever they want it.
Those "street margins" are a royal pain in the ass.
Hardly worth the time and effort for hauling out the mower just to cut the narrow strip.
I'm often tempted to pull out all the grass and replacing it with prickly pear cactus!!!!
Maybe Liriope or Ophiopogon would be a better idea?
Other neighbors have just cemented it up.
We never got "street trees". All the better.
(TOM KAN PA) opined:

our
It
maintenance.
all the

Gaura
inoxia.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Cool term Devil Strip, never heard that before. Know the origin of the term?
I'm turning the street margin into elaborate sun-gardens. The city or county could if they want tear it all out for any reason they had, so it's always a risk, but it's perfectly legal to plant all over it. The city has in the past even provided people with free saplings, but I wanted my own tree choices. There's an official list of permissible trees, quite a long list fortunately, what is missing from the list in theory is stuff that would too easily lift sidewalks or spread wider than they get tall or drop hideously gushy messes on the roads. The list looked random to me though. I remember being dissapointed Perotia was not permitted.
-paghat the ratgirl
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:03:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote:

As I believe I mentioned recently, Crape Myrtle is my city's 'official tree' and plentifully planted in street margins and dividers. Bloom is almost over now, and 'pink snow' has stopped raining onto the lawn. They are virtually no-maintenance in this area, the only chore being occasional trimming of bottom 'suckers' to make them trees instead of bushes. They are mostly 'hardy' here, and certainly 'root hardy'. After an exceptionally hard winter, many smaller ones died back to the ground, but put up new shoots the next spring.
paghat wrote:

Parrotia persica is on the approved list of Seattle Street Trees - an ideal choice for a parking/hell strip. Slow growing to a very manageable size, no mess, no fuss, drought and pollution tolerant and drop-dead gorgeous fall color. Don't understand why they are not more common.
pam - gardengal
Pam wrote:

Where ya been Pam? Is it available at Swanson's?
USDA Zone 8b
Swanson's? The one that makes the potpies without the soggy undercrust?

<< Subject: Re: Seattle's Street Margins From: "Cereoid-UR12-" snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net >>
<< Swanson's? The one that makes the potpies without the soggy undercrust? >> ____Reply Separator_____
Swanson's small round one have the bottom crust, but the larger Swanson ones don't have a bottom crust? Why is this?
Travis wrote:

Hi Travis; On vacation and yup, although I am no longer available at at Swanson's :-))
pam - gardengal
Pam wrote:

Have you retired?
USDA Zone 8b
Travis wrote:

Neither old enough or wealthy enough to retire - just concentrating on landscape design and consultation full time.
pam - gardengal

Probably sacrilegious to say here, but I wonder if anybody's ever put down Astroturf and plastic flowers and nobody noticed.