Seattle

I am going to Seattle next week and would like some recommendations for some nice nurseries or botanical gardens. I am interested in Hydrangeas and Hostas.

Thanks

Gary

Reply to
Gary & Karen

Welcome to Seattle! I've given you a list, below, of gardens and nurseries in Seattle that all have websites so you can see if that's what you are looking for. I seriously doubt that you can drive through or around Seattle without seeing hostas or hydrangeas this time of year. Bellevue Botanical Garden

There are 36 acres of display gardens, woodlands, meadows and wetlands at this Eastside attraction, which offers a perennial border, water-wise garden, Japanese garden, alpine rock garden and summer displays of dahlias and fuchsias. The garden is at 12001 Main St., Bellevue. Hours: dawn to dusk daily; visitor center 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Free. Information: 425-452-2750;

Bloedel Reserve

Serenity is yours for the asking at this special place on Bainbridge Island. About 65 of the 150 acres are landscaped, with the rest second-growth forest. From the entrance at the gatehouse, travel through several different environments, including a bird sanctuary and woodland, before arriving at the more landscaped area around the house. The reserve is at 7571 N.E. Dolphin Drive. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday; reservations required; docent tours available. Admission is $10; $8 for 65-plus and $6 for children 5- 12, $4 school groups and clubs. Information: 206-842-7631;

Carl S. English Jr. Botanical Gardens

At a loss for a place to take visitors that will please everyone? Load up the car and head for the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. While others are admiring the fish ladder, watching the transition of boats from salt to fresh water, or listening to a summer concert, gardeners can admire the fine plantings. Landscape architect Carl English transformed the barren lawn left after the construction of the locks into gardens that combine the romantic English landscape style with the original character of more than 500 species and 1,500 varieties of plants from around the world. The gardens are at 3015 N.W. 54th St. in Ballard. Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; visitor center open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. May 1-Sept. 30. Free. Information: 206-783-7059;

Washington Park Arboretum

The Washington Park Arboretum is a spectacular urban green space on the shores of Lake Washington just east of downtown Seattle and south of the University of Washington. Its 230 acres comprise a dynamic, living museum with collections of oaks, conifers, camellias, Japanese maples and hollies that are known internationally as our country's largest. The University of Washington, in association with the Center for Urban Horticulture, manages the Arboretum and its plant collections.

Garden

A stunning twenty acres of hills and valleys, the Kubota Garden features streams, waterfalls, ponds, rock outcroppings and an exceptionally rich and mature collection of plant material. This unique urban refuge displays over sixty years of vision, effort and commitment by the Kubota family.

good nurseries combined with great eye candy:

Magnolia Garden Center

3213 W. Smith St. Seattle, WA USA 206.284.1161

13625 NE 175th St. Woodinville, WA USA

425.483.5000
Nursery

18528 Aurora Avenue North Shoreline, WA USA

206.546.4851
Nursery

9701 15th Ave. NW Seattle, WA USA

206-782-2543