Sealing Clay Pots

Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this before and what have you used.
There's a spray sealer made for clay pots. You can get it from Michael's craft stores. I haven't used it so I an't tell you if it works well or not
Shell

Sammy' wrote:

I would not seal them. I use clay pots specifically because they are porous.
Moisture evaporating through the sides (even when they don't look damp) keeps the soil in the pot cool even in full sun. It's that evaporation process that causes the mineral build-up on the outside of the pot.
There is also some air penetration into the pot through the porous sides, which is very important for confined roots.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of trying to seal a few of my clay pots with a clear spray acrylic. They looked pretty good the first season, but by the second season, the acrylic began to peel off in yellowish flakes, and it got progressively worse. Also, this did not deter the natural tendency for clay pots to leach mineral deposits. Finally, I used a wire brush to remove the rest of this yellow scale, so I was able to salvage the pots. Like others have said, due to the porous nature of clay, it is probably not a good idea to try to seal it. I do have a strawberry pot from Mexico that I acquired about 10 years ago. It has a black (tar?) sealant on the inside, but the outside was not treated. It has survived fairly well over the years. Every fall, I empty my clay pots, clean them, let them dry, and then store them upside down on a shelf out of the weather for the winter, so they won't get wet, freeze, and crack. Hope this is helpful. Gary

Just set a plastic pot inside the clay pot. Problem solved.
My grandmother used to line her clay pots w/aluminum foil - very simple, hidden, and effective solution.
Good luck - whatever you decide to try, Nicole

I've seen something similar. Strips of aluminum foil placed on the ridge of a clay pot growing African violets. The salts tend to rot the stems and the foil prevents that. I like clay pots, although they do show salt deposits. Plant roots benefit from the properties of clay pots, and sealing the pot removes that benefit. To clean them, soak the pots in a bucket of water for several days, then repeat with fresh until the water is clear. You can always buy terra-colored plastic pots or set the clay pot in another container.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:14:53 -0500, "Nicole Thompson"

pots with it (inside and out) and it soaks into the terra cotta. You let it cure for 24 hrs before use. The color of the pot is not affected. Graham

Canning wax.

In a previous post on this thread I described a pot sealing solution. The product is:
"Seal-A-Pot" Distributed by: Haney Pottery Sales Ltd., Delta, B.C. Canada
For those south of the border, I would imagine that your local nursery could either order it from them or find out who the manufacterer is.
Graham