sealing brick on house exterior

I'm building a bed that will back up against the exterior of our house and will be raised about 2 feet above the original soil line. Naturally, I'd like to seal the brick to keep moisture out. What's the best way to do this? Do I need a layer of cement to do it right? Will black plastic suffice?
Thanks for any advice...
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:11:22 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Try <alt.home.repair>

It depends on what is behind the brickwork and the level of the dampcourse in the bricks. If you aren't sure get a builder's opinion. Only build up gardens beds above the dampcourse if you want to ruin walls, plaster and paint on the inside with damp, mildew and efflorescence.
David