Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

Page 2 of 2
MICHELLE H. wrote:

Thread is amusing. Fault is yours for not knowing how much lawn you have and for not checking spreader setting. You're always better off having to open spreader up as you go along or having to walk about more as too much fertilizer can brown lawn.
Personally I'd ditch the Scots plan. They make you a slave to your lawn making you spread stuff 5 times a year and their stuff is expensive.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Home of the Brave and Land of the Fee.
Wonder whatever happened to the "Land of the Free". Heh, probably privatized, derivatized, and sold to China, not that we'll ever see a dime of it.
--

- Billy

MICHELLE H. wrote:

Home of the brave, land of the free. Amazing. Any politician who even mentioned they might bring in such laws here would be out on their ear.
David

Good grief! That sounds absolutley disgusting.
I couldn't live in a place like that. I'd be complaining long and loud about loss of personal freedom.
wrote in message

I don't care where one lives there are always rulz. When one lives in a community of hundreds, even thousands of homes, all close together on small lots there needs to be certain rulz. People are made very aware of all the rulz prior to purchase and made to agree to abide by signing a legal instrument at closing. The rulz are not all that strict, if one misses mowing now and again no one will care, but if after a few months the place looks likes it's been abandoned then the rulz will come into play. If you wonder why folks choose to live in such communities (aka bedroom communities) it's typically because they haven't much choice if they want to be within a reasonable commute to better jobs and not live in inner city tenements... and don't think for a second that there are no rulz with apartment and condo living. Not everyone can afford to live on large land in bucolic surroundings and still find money to raise a family, especially since the more rural the less employment opportunities and lower the wages. There is no loss of personal freedom, one *chooses* to live in those communities. And anyway there are always rulz for everyone... quite often some old geezer in this very rural area becomes senile, has no relatives, stops caring for themselves, stops paying utility bills and property taxes, and finally neighbors notice the 100 acre farm has gone to heck, animals are starving, and social services comes and hauls him off his dairy farm to the local funny farm and the county auctions the farm to pay the bills, them's the rulz. In the US ones freedom ends at their neighbor's nose.
Brooklyn1,
Yes, once again you are absolutely right!! We live on a street where it is all single family houses, but houses that were built in the 1920's, so we all have SMALL yard, but the same size yards.
Everyone on my street, including us, we all have yards that are 0.11 acres in size. We all have 50 feet in the front, 50 feet in the back, and 100 feet on the sides. But the houses are VERY CLOSE together. The neighbors on both sides of me are probably like 10 feet from my house!!!
And yes, you are correct about the mowing. Now one will really care if you don't mow for a week or two, but if the grass gets 6 inches high or taller, and it makes your house and yard look messy, and your house looks abandoned, then your neighbors can go to our citys website and anonymously report you for what the city calls "Code Violations".
But like I said in my other post, you can also be reported for overgrown bushes/trees/shrubs, littler/debris/trash in your yard, peeling paint, fence violations, sign violations, building without a permit, unregistered vehicle in your driveway, etc, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote in

then you'd do better planting your lawn to something that doesn't grow over 6"... like, say, clover... or creeping thyme, which won't grow over 3" even when it's flowering and never needs mowing.
glad you live there & not me. lee
MICHELLE H. wrote:

That sounds like ~4500 square feet, including the footprint of the house so you applied the Scotts at least twice the recommended strength.
When you say you have "clover" in the lawn, do you mean real clover or oxalis? (Clover has leaves that are compound and each petal is round. The flowers are red or white. Oxalis has heart-shaped leaf petals and the flowers are little lavender and lily-shaped.)
gloria p

There is also burr clover, we use it for a lawn weed in southern California
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=&seq_num3809&one=T
Gloria,
Yes, its real clover with the 3 green leaves, and the little White flowers that popup everywhere.
It looks like this:
White Clover - Google Image Search
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&gbv=1&q=white+clover
enigma wrote:

Nope.
I'm not a believer in grass and as a city dweller on a small shady lot I can get away with that.
I wonder what the opinion of clover is in the suburbs? If you mow it will it pass for grass? I'm thinking of my brother who lives in a fussy suburb. It's a shame as the backyard is a glacial valley (don't fall). The neighborhood still had farms when Dad built the house in the 40's.
Jeff

MICHELLE H. wrote:

With that regime I am amazed anything grows.

Tell me it isn't so!

What is so wrong with clover? It's a ground cover that will sometimes grow when grass won't. Who told you that clover is bad?

Why should the fertiliser stick to the weeds, what would that do?

Well that's the beginning of the end of your reputation. To avoid eternal shame you should act overnight before too many people notice.

Facts partly true conclusion not.

More likely

They expect people to read the instructions and to think, don't ask me why. It would be better if such chemicals were under The Controlled Substances Act which would force responsible conduct on the vendors, lobby your local politicians.

You could in fact sod over it but there is a better solution - see below.

Fertiliser burn on the grass will do the same to shoots on seedlings only quicker.

Choose between concrete, astroturf and pavers. Astroturf encourages frollicking which brings on carpet burn for the unwary, something that clearly says "Don't frollic" would be better in your case. I would go for the concrete as you might get living organisms in the cracks between the pavers. Your karma is already in bad shape and won't stand any more genocide.
David