Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine

Has anyone had success with this vine in Wash. DC suburbs/Zone 7?

I'm tempted to try one this year.

Reply to
Rob

I planted one about 4 or 5 or 6 years ago and it has not leaped yet! They say first year it creeps, second year it leaps...maybe that is not the actual phrase. I am hoping it takes off this year because I'm so tired of the neighbor kid (7 years) jumping on her trampoline and wanting to have discussions with me as I take a soak in the hot tub nekkid at night. Doh.

I prefer the Schizophragma 'Moonlight' over other climbing hydrangeas. Where do you want to buy it from? I got mine with a coupon from White Flower Farms. Maybe it's just too hot here in Texas and it goes dormant along with everything else in the summer.

Reply to
Jangchub

The WFF catalog does say it's for Zones 5-7S/8W. I am planning to limit it to morning sun; the non-vine hydrangeas are definitely shade lovers around here.

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Rob

I have a lot of trouble with hydrangeas here. You can't go wrong with morning sun. Moisture in the soil is key with this plant. We only get 31 inches a year here, as opposed to the 60 I'm used to on Long Island, NY.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes and what you did so I can duplicate that!

Reply to
Jangchub

I just read a description and culture for this vine on the Kemper Botalical Garden site that warned they can be very slow to establish.

Good luck to you too.