scented lime trees

In England now it is the time of year that some lime trees have their wonderful scent. Only some though, which makes me think that it may be a different species that has the scent from the common lime. These trees seem to have a darker leaf color than the common lime.

I went to the new shopping centre on the King's Road in London near Sloane Square and there is a big scented lime there. I did not notice any honeydew on the pavement below it. Perhaps this species does not have the problem of aphid infestation that makes the common lime so unsuitable for street planting.

Can anyone answer my questions?

Andy.

Reply to
Andrew Lewis

The limes to which you refer are Tilia (linden or basswood) and not Citrus. You might be describing T. cordata, which has several cultivars. The "International Book of Trees" (Hugh Johnson, Simon and Schuster, 1973) describes this species: "And in mid-summer they sweeten the air most mellifluously with the scent of their flowers."

To identify the specific variety, you might inquire at a local plant nursery or garden club. Or visit an arboretum or botanical garden, where trees are generally labeled.

Reply to
David Ross

wonderful scent. Only some though, which makes me think that it may be

I assume you mean lime as in linden, the symbol of Czechoslovakia. I've never seen sap under them, but they do attract a lot of bees for the nectar. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

This website seems to have the answer

5 commonly planted limes in England

1 Tilia tormentosa scented 2 Tilia × euchlora suffers less from aphids 3 Tilia × vulgaris is a hybrid between 4 Tilia platyphyllos and 5 Tilia cordata
Reply to
Andrew Lewis