Saving trees via cutting off the damaged top

I've had great luck with Japanese Maples but failed with Dog Woods and others. Seems the idea of coppicing is mainly for firewood but I wonder in the practice can extend to other ornamental trees. Any novel success stories ?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing>
<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Coppicing&ie=UTF - 8&oe=UTF-8>
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer /

i just cut down a Carpathian walnut this spring, because it had borers & attracts bag worms... just not doing well & ugly to boot. it sent up a couple sprouts from the stump so i chose the strogest one & removed the others. not sure if it will hold up over winter, but we'll see. the previous owners cut all the blighted sections off an American chestnut by the garage about 20 years ago & that tree is beautiful now & bears nuts (not as many as it would if there were more chestnuts nearby). one thing people who wax nostalgic about chestnuts never seem to mention is they really smell horrible when in bloom, like dead animal... i have some little chestnuts coming along from seed, so hopefully they'll have blight resistance. i guess both of those fall into your 'firewood' catagory though. lee
enigma;857281 Wrote: > Bill who putters snipped-for-privacy@snip.net wrote in

I am very concerned that too much was cut off, and that my trees might now be damaged.just not doing well & ugly to boot. it
sent up a couple sprouts from the stump so i chose the strogest one & removed the others. not sure if it will hold up over winter, but we'll see. the previous owners cut all the blighted sections off an American chestnut by the garage about 20 years ago & that tree is beautiful now & bears nuts (not as many as it would if there were more chestnuts nearby).
--
gardenplanters

Just like removing a stump. Drill some holes and inject some Roundup.
--
bullthistle