Saving rainwater

Yes, I realize that folks in different circumstances have different points of view, and therefore different philosophies. Myself I'm a realist, after passing my 50th birthday I realized that I'd best have a realistic outlook towards what I'd be capable of in the future, and also of what my needs would be. Even now I have no use for about 90 % of what crops I produce, so what I can't use I try to give away, not always easy. Also being bent on gardening I'd not choose a spot where water was a major problem, or I'd cut way down on how much gardening, or I'd simply find different endeavers for investing my time and energies that don't rely on water, perhaps take up sculpting and knitting. But it's been rare that I needed to carry water because of dry spell, and only because I put in some new saplings too far for dragging a hose. Where I live as a rule there is too much water, there are periods when it is too wet to mow without the tractor making tire ruts, so I don't mow the wet areas until the ground drys out.

During dry spells that stream can shrink down to a damp spot although it mostly runs, but during heavy rains and from snow melt it can easily become a raging torrent overflowing its banks and then erosion becomes a problem... last year I had to have an excavator come in to reshape and riprap that stream. There is such a thing as too much water.

The little trickle running alongside my garden is spring fed so it runs all year, in fact it continues out around my barn, crosses through woods and fields, and fills my pond. During dry perids there is no visable water flow but it's always damp and were I to dig down a few inches with a shovel the hole would fill right up, the deer and other critters scrape small depressions and get water that way.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I will more than likely go the large tank route. About two years ago I saw a Victory Garden show that had several small tanks hooked up each gutter and sump pumps that transfered water near the home to larger tanks near the garden. Sounds expensive at first, but should pay off in time. The tank at the garden end would need power also? Perhaps solar pumps? Hand pumps? Do I want run power 150 feet out?

The R.O. system I was looking at is at

"6430 3-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System with Storage Tank". Max is 75 gallons per day ?????

Just weighing the cost and ease of each.

I would say my 5 rain barrels does the job two out every three years. Last summer was a very dry summer and the vegi garden really suffered.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Easier to put the tank near the power and run delivery pipe instead of wire. My header tank and distribution pump are right next to the house, the poly lines run out to the gardens and orchards.

Perhaps

Solar won't give much head but might do for drippers unless it is up hill.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I have time to think about, I'm in no rush. Septic tanks on east side of home, propane tank west side, well cap and nice lawn on north side, a deck on the south side .... hmmm, put the tank or tanks under 4ft deck ..., accessibility, will it stink?

I was thinking the over flow from rain barrels would lead to large tank out by the garden. A large 6" inch flex pipe under ground from connected rain barrels. still ... I want to consider esthetics and functionality.

I have lots of time to think. Doing my taxes today ... so I will be in miserable mood for the day :) Always around winter break.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

If you live where there's enough precipitation to fill the volume facility you're talking about and keep it filled then you don't need to collect water. Anyway Michigan is essentially an island surrounded by the Great Lakes, if anything Michigan gets too much precipitation... aside from spring rains in torrents there's enough snow melt to keep your ground too wet into mid June. Drought in Michigan is rare, on the few occasions you need to water, an hour with a garden hose from your well will suffice. And it's counter productive to over water, with watering plants less is more. It's better economics and less laborious to amend your garden soil with moisture retaining organic matter and mulch than to invest in vats, piping, and pumps.... and all your neighbors will be laughing at you hysterically when they see you out in your yard doing a rain dance hoping to fill your tanks. It will be less expensive to upgrade your well with a more powerful pump and larger pressure tank. If you're real serious about mega gardening it's not all that costly to have a shallow well installed just for irrigation. Also consider an artesian well, they are common in Michigan.

Reply to
brooklyn1

An excellent description of Michigan. I live in the boondocks, my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road, the only one I know. My other neighbor is the Gas Company. They have no gas wells nearby and they are the largest land owner. So no one will laugh.

Like I said before the wells in my area are very very hard - TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) is 2500. It is very heavy in salts. So even drilling a second well would not due. I admit I only need the extra water at most one or two months every other year. My well water seems to harm the plants, not help. No way drinkable without the R.O. under sink purification system. The soft line also goes through sediment filters which is not as bad. The good part of my well is that it has never gone dry, provides large volumes and sufficient pressure. The rain here is very consistent during spring and fall, rain is good for the garden. If I win the lottery, I will get a house hold R.O. system.

One plus to $400 portable R.O. is that I dream of getting a small 10x12 green house. It would be a nice addition... someday. The tanks are a little cheaper. The R.O. for outside hard line is small and might be more practical.

Like many people today am not sure about the economy and feel the need to save more for the rainy days instead of spending for the not so rainy days. Taxes are done, I will not receive enough for that nice green house :(

Still Dreaming ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Check out artesian wells, I'm serious, they're gravity pressure wells, free, pure, clean filtered water with no pump, no fuel.

brooklyn1

Lots of reading and thinking.

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Artesian wells are actually the least expensive type of well to construct. There are a few cities in Michigan that are famous for their artesian wells... check your Yellow Pages and get estimates, you may be pleasantly surprised. It could solve all your poor water problems.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I'm late on this Dan, but I have had this idea in my head for several years, after using this product for it's intended use for five years

Put yer thinking cap on here and do some calculations, etc. Cheap, tough and holds lots and lots of water in the larger sizes. Comes complete with low pressure, high volume pump and cover.

Spinoff of military waterbag technology.

Charlie

Hmmm ... I ... I just do not know what to say Charley :)

My thinking cap is on ... I could for a month or two park my old pickup truck back by the garden. Put a water proof liner in the bed. How does the saying go a "Red Neck's Swimming Pool" or "Hot Tub". It might work.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.