Saving rain water

Page 1 of 2
I have filled 2 trash cans with rain water, and could have filled two more! Also assorted buckets and other receptacles. We have had some great rains here in So. Calif. coastal, after several years of almost no rain. It's only end December, and the rainy season theoretically lasts from Nov. to March, but these days who knows..
Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous to plants, but enough to keep it safe.
How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?
TIA
HB

Please, if anybody has had experience, would you share it? Tx
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

If you cover them properly you will have very little problem. This keeps out mosquitos and other bugs and prevent algae from growing by excluding light. 32gal US is a tiny amount of water which isn't going very far. Unless you plan on keeping this water for months for souvenir purposes no bleach is required. And you will be able to wash your hair in it.
David

I use a garbage can to catch the overrun from a small tank that catches the rain off our side verandah. I use all of the water from the garbage can in one watering session of pot plants with a watering can. I can't see any need to treat it at all given that it's such a tiny amount.
"Higgs Boson" wrote Higgs Boson wrote:

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.
"Brooklyn1" wrote

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water safe for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than double that) he's not storing it for long. Of course he will have to reapply if he is storing for long, but one assumes he knows that since he specified Bleach.

Your aquarium water is chlorinated, you're an idiot and a liar.
"Brooklyn1" wrote

No, you have to declorinate fishtank water or you kill the fish.
You ok? You've been in a bad mood for days now.

Sheldon goes through his grumpy old man phases now and then as do we all. He'll be OK again in due time.
"FarmI" wrote

Yeah, but it normally doesnt stretch out into this group. Just a bit worried about him is all.

He never has been.
--
- Billy
wrote in message

Well as OK as Sheldon ever is. Having read him for at least 10 years (probably more) I've become used to the way he is.

You must be a saint ;O)
You're in New South Wales, aren't you? Away from the flooding?
--
- Billy
Billy wrote:

That is Secret Women's Business.
There are plenty of floods in NSW and there will be more to come until the Little Girl retires for the year.
David

Certainly messes up a perfectly good drought.
--
- Billy
be given> wrote:

Yes, but most of the easter States ahve had soem flooding in some areas in the past couple of months. We've had 'local' flooding in the nearest big shopping town when the river went up a few weeks ago and there has been the odd downpour that has resulted in roof damage/collapse etc. The town that flooded was cut in half by flood waters and there are some spectacular logs and vegetation around the place as a result of the flood. didnt' affect us as I don't do all that much shopping and I could live out of my (big, well stocked typical country) pantry for a month if need be.

According to a couple of sites I looked at, it's a half a teaspoon per 5 gallons. But I doubt whether doubling the dose would be a problem and I wouldn't even bother to add any for such a small amount of water. I'd worry more about mosquitos breeding in it so would use it quick sticks.
"FarmI" wrote

I got different answers too so picked one that made more sense to a storage tank. It breaks down fairly fast.
Quick Sticks? Not familar with that. Fill me in?

Ah sorry. I try to post in a universal language North Americans can understand easily without resorting to google but sometimes the local lingo slips out (David H-S would know what I meant). It just means 'quickly'.