Saving corn seeds

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 26 May 2007 16:09:08 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Don't be too sure...
[...]
On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:58:57 -0700, Persephone wrote:

puits s'est runi, soeur
Care Charlie

Uh, wells reunite themselves, sister?
A little oblique mon vieux. What the fuck are you trying to say? What ever it is I'll defend to the the death, your right to say it but what is it?
Just a slight technical difficulty, Charlie and Bill will be right back at you. Right? Is there any beer left?
Souvenez frapper les pots.
- Guillaume Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Good question, mate. Rule 3. After a few too many, STFU and read, don't post.

I think that was the problem.... no beer left.

Not too loudly, thank ya very much. Charlie needs more coffee, the annual family-male-bonding-fish-fest-thingie is about to launch.
Reminds me of a short story about brother-n-law and his native american gardening trick.
More later.

Care Charlie

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.
On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:28:19 -0500, Charlie wrote:

John

Too bad it isn't.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Uh, John, we know you are a level headed man. A pragmatist. Could you expand on this? - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Interesting article that dovetails with your current read. I am in the midst of corn country and I see this. Life is a bitch for producers in the midwest. Land prices over $5000/acre in select areas of Iowa. Who wins? I think ya'll know who doesn't win.
"From the news these days you'd think farmers have never had a better friend than ethanol. Headlines holler that corn prices are soaring and that at this moment farmers are planting more acres of corn than they have in the last 50 years. Reporters writing about the ethanol boom are throwing around words like gold rush, jackpot, and nirvana. But if you actually are a farmer, ethanol and the high corn prices it brings is looking less and less like a blessing -- and more like a curse."
Full article at:
http://alternet.org/environment/52073 /
"We won't get fooled again" Charlie
Charlie expounded:

Is that all? Around here it's at least $250,000 an acre for a buildable house lot (!!)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Won't get fooled again Charlie? Maybe not this way but, there are lots of ways to fool us. I have to admit though, it is a conceit that I would aspire to.
Reading along in "Omnivore's Dilemma", it takes just over a calorie of fossil fuel to get a calorie of corn. Back in the 1940's, before chemical fertilizers, the yields were lower BUT you got 2 calories out for every calorie put in (crop rotations and manure).
Pause to scratch head and ponder. So if we are going to be expanding our production of corn, who wins? Exxon, Shell, BP, et al. win. Why are we growing more corn? To lessen our dependancy on oil. What do we need to grow more corn? More oil. I think we can all join the farmers here by dropping our shorts, grabbing our ankles, and pray someone hasn't thrown sand into the vaseline.
I really got to go plant those 'maters.
- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (and bang those damn pots)
On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:36:36 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Yeah, mebbe.
Same old shell game. Get everybody hot about corn -- with the dire consequences adumbrated above.
Meantime, under the *real* shell is -- are you ready?
HEMP!
Just Google keywords like "hemp as automobile fuel" and you will be deluged with valuable information -- that you jes' might want to share with your congress-critter.
Persephone
On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:17:11 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know! You old farts won't even let an addle-head be self-delusional for even a minute. Sheesh!

Huh? Oh.

Waste of good hemp, if ya' ask me. Why turn it to oil? "Take a trip and never leave the farm" says the old song. We studied all about hemp back in the good old college days. **Lots** of us took the Applied Pharmacology courses.
But that is a whole nuther subject that is best covered elsewhere.
Just wandered out to get some barleywine and picked up a KCStar and front page news is about a new old crop being developed for oil, as in biofuel production. Camelina.
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/17286156.htm
Sorry folks, the only solution to the fuel crisis, is to .......
F***ING DRIVE LESS....way, way, less!
Sheesh, everybody go read a little James Howard Kunstler.
Peace and Love, Sister Charlie
On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:27:41 -0500, Charlie wrote:
[...]

[...] Sigh. Lordie me, another one equating hemp with pot.
Love to see him try to get high on hemp.
That fairy-tale (promulgated by oil companies, what else, in collusion with 1930's govt. drug czar bureaucrat-busybodies) has kept hemp from being utilized IN THE US for its many, many uses, from clothing to sails to oils...you name it...these thousands of years...
Persephone
On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:40:53 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Come now, my dear. It was a joke. I do know the difference and am well aware of the history and uses of hemp.
In my part of the country, a major eradication program has gone on for years, against wild hemp. One thing that it accomplished was eliminating an important source of high energy food for quail and other birds.
Please Be Careful with what you Assume Charlie

Charlie, I'm outta Zig Zags, you got any? Whaaaat?
- Wilhelm Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)