Saving corn seeds

Page 1 of 2
Being a student always leaves you feeling stupid and, here I am again. I'm getting too old for this, maybe. For other newbies out there let me just say that if you are planning on saving corn to plant next year, it had better be open pollinated corn and not hybrid corn. With open pollinated corn you can hand pollinate the corn (no snickering out there, you know who you are) and then bag it (sort of the opposite of what people do) and have corn with the same genome for the next year. With hybrid corn there is no chance. Self pollination only leads to divergent genomes, mixed populations of corn. This is what I am reading in a book called "The Omnivores Dilemma". Besides the above, in spite of $10,000,000,000 annually in commodity supports for corn growers, most of them are just barely getting by, while the low price of American corn is killing Mexican agriculture!!?? Adios Mexico, good morning Juan.
Additionally, Americans consume more corn, in all its' manifestations than Mexicans. There are corn by-products in a quarter of the products sold in the average supermarket, not to mention the construction materials in the building. How do they know that? That's another fascinating exposition.
The book may end-up sucking but it sure starts out like a house afire.
Got mine from the library.
That's my book report for the night.
In article

The price of corn in the US is way up because of ethanol production. The USDA predicts that more corn will be planted this year than has been planted since before WWII. (The exact year eludes me. I'd have to look it up.)
The price of corn is up in Mexico, too, making it hard for poor folks to afford masa to make tortillas.
The first book Michael Pollen wrote is pretty interesting, too:
"The Botany of Desire."
I'm not quite awake yet. Please excuse the stilted language...
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

http://hawaiiseed.org/seed_exchange.html
"New legislation in Iraq recently put in place by the US prevents farmers from saving their seeds. The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimates that 97% of Iraqs farmers use saved seed from their own stocks from last years harvest or purchased in local markets. When the new law Order No. 81 (4/26/04) goes into effect, seed saving will be illegal and markets will offer only PVP (Plant Variety Protected) seed which has been invented and patented and licensed by the transnational corporations. "
There are many articles about this happening.
It's no wonder farmers in southern Iraq are beginning to grow poppies.
They who control the essentials, control the people.
Next thing you know, we who save seeds will be busted.
Screw 'em. Charlie

Do you think they will have the freedom to develop their own *anything* ?? Anything that would be theirs and theirs alone?
I think not.
Seems to me they had a system going, wherein they were saving their own seeds. As were those in India with cotton. Hybridization is certainly beneficial and results in some marvelous crops... sweet corn for instance. Stowell's Evergreen (open pollinated) is not even close to being as TripleSweet Hybrid or any of the super sweets. Which do I buy at market? The really really sweet hybrids. But I also have five pounds of assorted open pollinates in suspended animation. Hybridization creates dependency, which fosters control and exploitation.
Saving seeds is a tradition and that, along with Lord knows what else, is being destroyed. All over the world.
Jeez man, how many children died, on account of sanctions, even *before* the war?
When I mentioned poppies, here is the link.
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/23/1392 /
Some bloggers are speculating that, for some Iraqi farmers, there is more profit in opium than in having to try and make a living raising "licensed" crops. Plus the ignominy of being forced to play by rules foriegn and not of your liking. Hell, should any of us like this?
Rant over. Back on topic. Just back from the local plant house with a half truck load of color for the garden and patio area. I recently was offered a rather large stash of pots and containers of various sizes. and am going to grab some barleywine, turn off this infernal froth makin' machine, turn on the outside music and sink my hands in the dirt and make pretty and happy.
Next year I am going to start more of the old-timey flowers to save seed. One great thing about the old heirloom stuff. They often smell good. Try smellin' a hybrid Wave petunia next to an old-fashioned vining 'tunia. You'll know what I mean.
Care, and have a sudsy weekend all! Charlie

The super sweet are too sweet for my taste and, to my taste, don't taste like corn but then I've only bought them out of a store. When mine are good, they taste like sweet corn. I don't mean to start a pissin' contest, it's just the way I like them.

was an acceptable number, may she burn in Hell. http://www.fair.org/index.php?page 84

It seems to happen where ever the CIA goes, South east Asia, central America, Afghanistan. Always a big jump in drugs. Ollie North was financing his shadow government with it.

American trainers going off with their military students and not coming back. The rest of the arabs and Iranians will do what they need to do. When you get mad enough, you don't care about anything any more. You just want to push back at any price. Bush wants his eternal war and so do his backers. More war profits and less public control is the name of the game and everybody in Washington knows it. But who dares bite the hand that feeds them?

That weren't no rant Charlie, that was just speculatin'. I'd like to give you my version of a rant but I'm out of time. My lovey will be home soon and I should be getting dinner on. Maybe next time.

astragalus, and hysopp have smells? I guess I'm gonna' find out.

Prost! Charlie & Bill
Bang those pots

Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

ahhhh...someone else has been paying attention the last few decades.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -- H.L. Mencken
The world consists mainly of normal men...and women.

I do so enjoy a righteous rant. I am trying to portray my kinder, gentler, garden nature. My early USENET years were spent in some of the more unsavory places where one's language was *not* an issue. ;-)

Echinacea does have a nice perfume... it is light, ya' gotta get right into it, so you will poke your nose when you enjoy. In my part of the world, bumble bees and butterflies love the blooms.
The other two I don't know. Let us know.
If you want intoxicating evening perfume, and beautiful flowers, and a wonderful climbing screen, try Moonflowers, if you haven't. Beautiful four to six inch nightly blooms. We have been doing them for twenty ears....we love the perfume even more than jasmine or Night Blooming Stock or petunias. We plant the night scents so that as you walk or sit in differnt areas of the garden (patio is simply an extension of garden), you inhale different scents.
Same with the herbs. Rosemary, basil, lavender, etc....are planted and placed so that you brush against them or can rub them at will.
It's heaven, my friends, pure olfactory heaven!

Bangin' away Bill, always bangin' away!
Charlie, one half of the current Charlie and Bill Show

favorite device of persons with something to sell." -- H. L. Mencken A wonderful man. I need to read more of him. We need news people like him but what do we get? We get Walter Lippman wanna bes, working their tails off and, completely dedicated to "manufacturing of consent" for the ruling class.
But I digress . . .

I tried this one once before but it up and died on me. I'll give it another shot. I have the perfect place for it.

Care, and have a sudsy Memorial Day weekend all. Support the troops and get them home, where we love & want them. We don't need no more stinking memorials.
Prost!
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (Bang those pots)
Ya know Charlie, alphabetically speaking, that should be the "Bill and Charlie Show";-) (I've never been a sock puppet before.) or maybe "Rants Uber Alles" Mon dieux, ce fois nous sommes aller trop loin. Uh, what kind of frogs do you have Charlie? . . .

Some say that nicking the hard seed coat will aid in a speedier germination. Tried that. It works, but is a major PITA.
Soaking overnight in water is effective.

Peut-tre pas. Si oui, c'est la vie. Je suis sr que beaucoup nous ignorent maintenant

Frogs indeed we have. When we had the koi pond, a bullfrog took up residence. Pond went by the wayside as maintenence required lots of knee time and that wasn't working so well.
Peeper frogs of some sort live in the creek and serenade us from spring to fall and and we always have several tree frogs. Which are a boon to our mini-ecosystem, but when the tree frogs are feeling amorous they are the loudest and most annoying thing I have ever had in the garden, self included.
Sometimes I can't stand it any longer and get the hose and long range nozzle and start blasting around in the trees until he shuts up, but it is never for long.
Four of my boys friends, and a couple that are close to me, are stuck in that hellhole as we speak. One of them just had a child, and he is not even in country to be with his family. Everyday they are in my thoughts.
To life, to love, to caring Prost! Charlie
--
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming
gardeners who make our souls blossom.

I drove in metal rods to hold on to about the pond. Serious rods three of them. This after a sculpture I was holding onto gave in while trying to rescue a large koi. Not nice or safe.

We have all sort of sounds here peeper are quiet compared to some.

I think of them as soccer guys I coached. I thought we learned better but it seems national tragedy blinds us all. The image of towers ....the image of people...enough.

Bill Wagner
http://www.archive.org/details/AnUnfairWar
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:38:17 -0400, William Wagner

Amen brother, amen.
Care Charlie
On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:38:17 -0400, William Wagner

Prosit

What are you having?

Actually, I favor a Dutch bier - Grolsch.
Don't turn me in to the Beck folks!
P.

nach hause geht wir nicht.) Does Grolsch still come with those reusable ceramic tops with the rubber gasket? I usually drink California micro-brews, German beers or, Guinness

tgehen
wir nicht.) Does Grolsch still come with those reusable

Not sure. I may have seen them in stores, but I usually just buy 6 or larger packs. I do have an empty like that up in my container cupboard.
I usually drink California

Watch that gut.
Persephone

Mon dieux mon ami. Dans mes bras. Tu a cach des chose. Quel surprise et joie. Bonne fte.
Salut la compagnie,
Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Pour ceci je ne peux pas prendre le crdit, mais peut-tre il m'inspirera apprendre. Je suis dsol de dcevoir, mon ami.      Je suis dsol
Soin Charles, le trompeur

Kein probleme.
Im jedenfalls werder wir die Kochtpfe weiter schlagen.
Dein guten Freund,
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputaum (mostly)

     In der Tat werde ich. Mglicherweise verwirren unsere Austusche einiges hier, aber dieses ist eine gute Sache. Die, die Ohren haben, hren. Ich finde es zu unterhalten!
Deine Filter einstellen, um eine vorbehaltliche Linie mit Charlien anzunehmen. Das Verstndigen mit jemand auf einem persnlicheren Niveau ist eine Spitze, die fr mich traumatisch ist, aber was die Hlle mglicherweise ich sie dieses Wochenende riskiere.
Die maschinelle bersetzung bitte entschuldigen, denn ich bin nicht imstande, dieses auf meinen Selbst zu vollenden.
Ich hoffe, da dieses sinnvoll ist. Das Aufheben der bersetzung scheint, eine angemessene Idee des Gedankens zu geben.
Obacht und Durcheinander und ein grosses Grinsen Charlie

Pas de mal, mon ami.
Ich will jetzt zu Bett gehen. J'ai sommeil. Bis morgan. Schlafts du gut.
Un grand bisou a tous la familie.
Gute Nacht.