saving a girdled tree?

Hello, one of our boxelder trees had a dog chain tied around the tree by the previous owner, and the chain became embedded in the tree. The tree looks kinda sickly but is still alive. Is there a way to remove the chain and save the tree?

Reply to
Paul Falstad

Perhaps, but there are variables in trying to save the tree. A lot depends on the size of the chain and how much of it is visible and the age of the bark. Buy or borrow a pair of bolt cutters. There are different sizes of bolt cutters. Try cutting each chain link in 2 or more places. If the chain is near the surface you may be able to release the constriction by removing the connection between the adjoining links. Caution, if the back side of a link is buried deeply do not remove it. This would cut the bark and girdle the tree but if left in place the bark may just grow over the piece of chain.

Depending on the age of the tree bark you could bridge graft over the chain. I have read about this but have never tried it in a girdle situation. This graft is best on young bark. I have used a form of bridge grafts to join limbs on trees.

Try the bolt cutters first. Repost if you want more on bridge grafts.

Reply to
nonews

Wow, coming from lumber country the first thing that came to my mind was "What if he gets it healed and then when it's old and has to be cut down, someone hits one of those bits of chain with a chainsaw."

It could be a very dangerous situation.

Kate PS: Hope you get your tree healed, it's a shame that people let things like that happen to trees. Just imagine the poor dog that was tied there all those years :)

Reply to
SVTKate

It's a box elder, for heaven's sake! Not a tree worth saving. Weedy, seeds freely, has brittle wood and is plagued by insect problems.Get rid of it and replant with a tree that is not so problematic and more attractive.

sure to note the last paragraph

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Reply to
Paul Falstad

Do not remove the chain! Just cut it back close to the trunk without wounding the trunk. Remember we must not just treat the wound but the entire tree. Where do you live? I may know someone good in your area I could recommend

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.