salvia question

I have some blue salvia, should I deadhead it? I've never grown salvia before.
TIA, Gloria
Do you know what kind of Blue Salvia it is? Has it bloomed so far this year? I'm in 9a in Houston. Where are you? (you should see the salvias here now. From now to frost, they are stellar)
http://www.celestialhabitats.com
Gloria wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
I'm in NE Alabama, zone 7. The salvia was in full bloom when I planted it about 2 weeks ago, got it at Lowe's. There was no identification tag on it. It's a nice size clump but most of the flower stalks are spent. I'm not seeing much new growth, and the spent stalks are falling over so I was wondering if I need to remove the spent flower stalks to encourage new blooms. Thanks for the great link!
Gloria wrote:

--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
Absolutely, deadhead the spent stalks. Water moderately. Salvias are generally water misers and love bright light.
Gloria wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
Thank you, JK !
Absolutely, deadhead the spent stalks. Water moderately. Salvias are generally water misers and love bright light.
http://www.californiagardens.com/Lists/salvias.htm http://webs.lanset.com/pathline/salvias.htm http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/frames/nature/eyenatur/pg6.htm
JK
Gloria wrote:

it.
--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
I have another saliva question. I planted some victoria blue last year and miraculously the survived a minnesota winter with a thick covering of mulch (I mulched it only because I was mulching other plants around it. My garden plan has changed somewhat this year and now the salvia are near some roses which means that they will be getting runoff from the roses that will be watered frequently. I know Salvias are drought tolerant but will they do OK with regular watering? Would moving them be a good idea?

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mmarteen) expounded:

I grow Victoria Blue salvias (Salvia farinacea) under an old rose every year....I love the way it blooms through the rose blossoms. No problem at all with water.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Yes. Snipping off the spent flower stalks will encourage new growth. Which reminds me, I need to do the same to my sage, although the flowers are pretty.
I deadheaded it and new growth is busting out all over it....thanks Frogleg.
Gloria