salvia question

I have some blue salvia, should I deadhead it? I've never grown salvia before.

TIA, Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

Do you know what kind of Blue Salvia it is? Has it bloomed so far this year? I'm in 9a in Houston. Where are you? (you should see the salvias here now. From now to frost, they are stellar)

=

Gloria wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

I'm in NE Alabama, zone 7. The salvia was in full bloom when I planted it about 2 weeks ago, got it at Lowe's. There was no identification tag on it. It's a nice size clump but most of the flower stalks are spent. I'm not seeing much new growth, and the spent stalks are falling over so I was wondering if I need to remove the spent flower stalks to encourage new blooms. Thanks for the great link!

Gloria

wrote:

Reply to
Gloria

Absolutely, deadhead the spent stalks. Water moderately. Salvias are generally water misers and love bright light.

=

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

I have another saliva question. I planted some victoria blue last year and miraculously the survived a minnesota winter with a thick covering of mulch (I mulched it only because I was mulching other plants around it. My garden plan has changed somewhat this year and now the salvia are near some roses which means that they will be getting runoff from the roses that will be watered frequently. I know Salvias are drought tolerant but will they do OK with regular watering? Would moving them be a good idea?

mm

Reply to
mmarteen

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mmarteen) expounded:

I grow Victoria Blue salvias (Salvia farinacea) under an old rose every year....I love the way it blooms through the rose blossoms. No problem at all with water.

Reply to
Ann

Yes. Snipping off the spent flower stalks will encourage new growth. Which reminds me, I need to do the same to my sage, although the flowers are pretty.

Reply to
Frogleg

Thank you, JK !

Gloria

Gloria

I deadheaded it and new growth is busting out all over it....thanks Frogleg.

Reply to
Gloria