Salvia guaranitica

I have a salvia guaranitica, variety unknown, that grows between 4' - 5' tall, has bright blue blossoms that begins in June and continues throughout the summer. I have grown it for the past four years in zone 6 with no special winter protection. It's a fantastic hummingbird magnet.

About six weeks ago I was given some cuttings from another variety of salvia guaranitica 'Purple Majesty', which have since rooted and is now growing well. I realize it's too tender to go outside this winter, but does anyone have any experience growing it outside in zone 6 once the plant is well established? I was given the cuttings because the person with the original plant wasn't sure it would survive.

BTW, I found that salvia leucantha survives the winter easily in zone 6 if grown in soil that is well drained - in other words, a raised bed that contains a healthy mixture of sand in the soil.

John

Reply to
B & J