Salt water damage to azaleas

Page 4 of 4

Wow, talk about projecting!
-paggers

http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Janet Baraclough wrote:

There are many places in North America with salt deposits left from the Oceanic inundation not just Australia.

USDA Zone 8
You've messed the attributions, Travis; now you won't know who to insult.
Paghat said: Salt is

I replied

Warren replied

I said

No doubt, but try to keep up. We're discussing, does coastal rain ever contain salt from the sea. Does coastal rain deposit salt on plants and soil. Okay? The websites provided by myself and Presley, show it does, so Paghat and Warren are wrong. Here it is again, just for you.
* 3. From wind blown salt, usually in rain water from the ocean.

Janet.
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:36:19 +0100, Janet Baraclough

Travis misses a lot, be kind to Mr. one liner, he hasn't even learned to trim posts yet...
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold
You've messed the attributions, Travis; now you won't know who to insult.
Paghat said: Salt is

I replied

Warren replied

I said

No doubt, but try to keep up. We're discussing, does coastal rain ever contain salt from the sea / Does coastal rain deposit salt on plants and soil. Okay? The websites provided by myself and Presley, show it does, so Paghat and Warren are wrong. Here it is again, just for you.
* 3. From wind blown salt, usually in rain water from the ocean.

Janet.

Salt does not make things acidic, it buffers the acidity and raises the pH of acidic solutions. So if you have acid rain, you do not have saline rain. The reverse is true, acid rain causes salt depletion.

Which one, the one on the increased salinity of Australia's arid regions by rainwater or the picture of Brodick Castle with no rhododendrons or azaleas in it. We are not talking about property boundaries, but about where rhododendrons and azaleas thrive.
Just because you can raise rhododendrons and azaleas and own some swamp land doesn't mean that they thrive in swamp land. Let's use some logic here.

No, that was in a post to Paghat, showing her that she was wrong in saying ocean rain does not contain salt. Look up the websites in my post replying to you.

Yes there are. You said

http://www.arransites.co.uk/images/bro_castle2.jpg
Now, the picture clearly shows that Brodick Castle's garden IS near the sea, and is not "high". Those are contrary to your claims. Now, you say the picture "does not show rhododendrons or azaleas in it". But you agree above, it is a famous rhododendron garden and you visited it to see them.
How strange, that you don't know Brodick Castle's most famous rhodo area is the section at the bottom of the garden adjoining the coast road, and that the dense greenery lining the road, clearly visible in the picture, right beside the sea, is a wide variety of rhododdendrons.
The other websites I mentioned, give the true locations and elevations and descriptions of the other gardens you wrongly described as "high up", "not near the sea" or not "growing rhododendrons and azaleas near the sea".

? I don't own any swamp land or claim rhododendrons and azaleas thrive in swamps.

Okay. Why is it, that you make so many glaring errors of fact , description AND location about gardens you claim to have visited very recently?
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/environment/salinity/intro/salinity_intro.htm#salt%20source
Salt *does* *not* rain from the sky.

USDA Zone 8

And the YBG garden goes down to 15m above the sea.
RBGE is on a raised beach a few hundred yards from the sea at Leith (an Edinburgh port). The elevation is 20 to 40 m, not 134 m as you claim. Figures from their own website below.
www.rbge.org.uk/rbge/web/hort/four.jsp
http://www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/visit/places/Property.asp?PropID 056&NavPage056&NavIdQ10
is a map showing the garden's true location at the edge of the water, NOT as you claim >"Crarae Gardens, 1000 feet from Loch Fyne, not very close"..
www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/visit/places/Property.asp?PropID053&NavPage053&NavIdQ10 gives a map of Arduaine Garden, right on the coast and a maximum 100 ft above sealevel, NOT 239 ft as you claim.
The websites quoted belong to the Royal Botanical gardens (owners of Benmore and Edinburgh Botanical Garden) and The National Trust for Scotland, owners of Arduaine, Inverewe and Crarae.
www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/visit/places/Property.asp?PropID103&NavPage103&NavIdQ22 for sea-location of Inverewe
azaleas in flower by the sea at Inverewe.
http://www.gardens-guide.com/gardenpix/0200_inverewe.jpg
Janet.
When you argue with fools bystanders can't tell you apart. Azalea and every ericacious plant I have thusfar encountered will not grow submerged in seawater. 15M would not be under the sea in a storm surge, if it was it would have been washed out to sea. A little salt spray? perhaps with adequate rainfall to leach it out, otherwise no go.
Janet Baraclough wrote:

http://www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/visit/places/Property.asp?PropID 056&NavPage056&NavIdQ10
www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/visit/places/Property.asp?PropID053&NavPage053&NavIdQ10
www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/visit/places/Property.asp?PropID103&NavPage103&NavIdQ22
Janet you are an IDIOT you don't even read the web sites you cite.

USDA Zone 8

Are you having some comprehension problems, Travis, or just not keeping up with who said what, again? Which bit of those websites is causing you difficulty? Do explain.
Janet

Which bit of those websites is causing you difficulty? Do explain.
Janet
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:48:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

Hey I've got a great compost tea buddy there!!!!
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

Azaleas are also susceptible to root rot, so having constantly wet roots is not a good idea. It would be best to remove the plants from all soil and repot, and then drench the soil in hopes of being able to use it in the future.
It's been in the 90's and no recent rain. Not exactly the time to go digging and potting an allready stressed plant. YMMV
Yeah and in 90 degree weather in the dog days of August it's not an optimum time to dig and pot an allready stressed plant.

1) You can *talk* to children and explain the problem to them. You cannot talk to a dog, and you cannot talk to most dog owners who would let their dog piss on your lawn. If they knew it was wrong, they'd put a stop to it without being asked.
2) In some locales, including mine, it is legal to terminate a dog that's damaging a food-producing garden.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account