Sago palm cone and seeds

My male sago palm has grown a cone in the middle for about a month now (the cone is almost 2 feet tall). Will the plant get rid of the cone itself in a little while or should I remove the cone myself?
My female sago palm is growing seeds. After removing the seeds, should I cut away the stuff around that held the seeds of leave it as is?