Sad looking hebes

Hi,

Please bear with me, i'm a very inexperienced gardener!

I have several different hebes in my garden, I'm unsure what varieties they are unfortunately, all I know is that some have varigated leaves and others don't! At the moment they are all looking rather sad and almost dead! The leaves are dead and falling off, but there does seem to be some new growth appearing from the very bottom of the shrubs. Is it normal for hebes to appear so forlorn this time of year, or is it due to the harsh winter we had? I'm wondering if the majority of the plant is dead from frost damage? Can anyone advise me on how to get my hebes looking healthier for the summer? Should I cut them right back or will they pick up on their own? I've read it is almost impossible to kill a hebe, have I achieved the impossible?!

Thanks in advance, Kez

Reply to
Kezkitty

Kezkitty;881523]Hi,

Please bear with me, i'm a very inexperienced gardener!

I have several different hebes in my garden, I'm unsure what varieties they are unfortunately, all I know is that some have varigated leaves and others don't! At the moment they are all looking rather sad and almost dead! The leaves are dead and falling off, but there does seem to be some new growth appearing from the very bottom of the shrubs. Is it normal for hebes to appear so forlorn this time of year, or is it due to the harsh winter we had? I'm wondering if the majority of the plant is dead from frost damage? Can anyone advise me on how to get my hebes looking healthier for the summer? Should I cut them right back or will they pick up on their own? I've read it is almost impossible to kill a hebe, have I achieved the impossible?!

Thanks in advance, Kez

kez what overall area are u located in? u did mention winter so sounds like u are just coming out of winter in your area as we are starting to here in southwestern ontario.

usually herbs dont look to great after winter. hopefully we can give u some

more info after we find out your location. cyaaaaaaaa, sockiescat:).

Reply to
sockiescat

Hebes? Do you mean wandering jews?

Reply to
brooklyn1

Hi Sockiescat,

Thanks for your reply. I live in England, we're in early spring now and starting to enjoy the daffodils after a bitterly cold winter :)

Kez

Reply to
Kezkitty

To help every> I own a business "Professional Pond Maintenance and Fish Care".

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't own a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at a loss.

That's your second untruth.

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your name.

-----

Sheldon (aka brooklyn1) has never explained what he meant by that last line.

Reply to
Billy

No I don't mean wandering jews, they are definately hebes.

Kezkitty

Kezkitty;881734]No I don't mean wandering jews, they are definately hebes.

kez hope these two links might be of some use to u for your hebes.
luck with them :). cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat:).

Reply to
sockiescat

Hi, fellow Hebe grower. You can find a lot of wisdom about this beautiful plant by using a search engine with key words "Hebe plant". Many Web sites. Since I am in a very different climate, I won't venture a "diagnosis", but I do encourage you to visit some of the Hebe Web sites, where you are sure to find the answer to your question.

Reply to
Higgs Boson