Rusty roses

Am suffering through a disgusting attack of rust on my roses. (This after just posting that garlic keeps off pests!)

As another poster just noted, it came on SUDDENLY!

I went "Rose rust can be treated by pruning out spring infections as soon as they emerge and removing fallen leaves promptly during autumn. (If infections are persistently troublesome, it may be that the cultivar concerned is unusually susceptible, and it may be necessary to replace it.)

Chemical treatments for rose rust are fungicides containing mancozeb, myclobutanil, penconazole and triticonazole =97all to be sprayed in spring and summer.

Neem oil diluted and sprayed "Preventing Rose Rust

Rose rust, a condition that affects rose plants, is one where dark spots of fungus develop on leaves and blossoms. Rose rust disease occurs most frequently in humid environments where the fungus grows. The disease is spread when winds blow fungal spores onto rose plants, where they attach and develop. Identifying and Treating Rose Rust

Monitor your roses carefully for signs of rose rust. The fungus may be dark yellow to brown in color and will appear in small, pea-sized patches all over the plant. Check underneath leaves for signs of rose rust disease as well.

Clean off visible spots of fungus from your rose plants before treating them with a fungicide spray. Remove any parts of the plant that contain dark spots, as these may spread to other areas if not destroyed. Treat the affected plants with fungicide once every 10 to

14 days as needed. Rose rust treatment will be most effective if you pick off all infected leaves and stems first.

Rose rust disease is easily treatable, but takes a careful eye to notice the fungus before the disease is widespread. Monitor your roses carefully for signs of rose rust disease and then act quickly when you detect any symptoms of the disease.

Read more:

"

Would appreciate your input on the following:

  1. this is So. Cal Coastal. Can I still spray some of those horrible-sounding chemicals?

  1. There's pro and con about effectiveness of Neem oil. Your opinon/ experience?

  2. I didn't notice any "spring infections"; the roses looked very healthy. This came on suddenly. "Should" I apply something in Spring, regardless?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

STILL HOPING FOR SOME INPUT ON THESE QUESTIONS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON EFFECTIVE "HORRIBLE CHEMICALS"

AND EFFICACY OF NEEM OIL?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It looks like Jackson & Perkins has gone belly-up. Can anyone here recommend a good online source for ordering roses ?

Thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

You don't tell us which country you live in so most answers will be totally irrelevant. If you live in Oz than Swanes, Ross Roses and Treloar all have good reputations:

FarmI

What happened to J&P?

Meanwhile, for specialty roses, try David Austin:

what I consider run-of-the-mill roses, I have had excellent luck in the spring at Costco or BJs (in the US...I assume you are here, too).

Each store has inexpensive two packs of classics, such as Lincoln or climbers of even singles of tree roses (I have a spectacular Julia Child floribunda tree rose that has been blooming all summer that was less than $20.)

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I've found David Austin roses able to put up with my neglect and shade. Some of the varieties do not look like classic teas but the scents are there and tactile images. Worth a hard look.

Reply to
Bill who putters

There are still J&P roses available from resellers. The original founders of J&P passed on and the family sold the business, it has since been sold several times. There is still a web site with plants/products but no roses.

brooklyn1

thanks to all who replied...... yes, I am in the USA, I forgot to mention that....

it looks like David Austin is a good source...

again, thanks !!!

James

Reply to
James