Rust in azalea!!! HELP

I purchased a evergreen azalea. It has developed a serious leaf rust infestation. I got it over the summer and I am planning to transfer it to the spot I want to have it. Right now the plant is still on the burlap. I removed all the rusty leaves out and the plant is budding, so only the buds are present at this point.

Is there anything I could do to prevent the rust from coming back next year?

Also, is there anything I could apply to the plant to avoid this disease?

I will greatly appreciate help. Thanks

Reply to
laurap74

Hi Laura My name is Pam,maybe this could help you.carry out a acidify test of the soil,for azaleas need a acid soil,yellow leaves on azaleas and other acid loving plants is a sign that the plants need nitrogen as well as increased acid.Mulch the plants heavily with peat or a special acid azalea compost and a application of nitrogen-fertilizer to make the soil more acid.apply acidifying materials, ask for it at your nursery. good luck pam smith

Reply to
pam smith

I'm sure you have thought of these yet they bear repeating,

Probably a bit late now but you might try to return it and get your money back, buy a variety that may not be as susceptible to rust in your area as this one may take a while to return to good health. Rust is more prevalent on deciduous varieties and ones near hemlocks.

If you keep it, find a fungicide listed for your particular variety of plant and rust. (lots of different rusts for different plants). Start at the place where you purchased your plant. Barring that, find a good nursery/ or local experts and ask. Dispose of the burlap and the soil properly so as not spread the rust ( should have already done that with the leaves.) .

Perhaps next time get it into the ground a bit sooner.

some sleuthing info:

Gunner