Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

The weight of the water in teh pipe will only affect pressure if the head of water is raised, but that has to do with gravity... if the head of water is lowered volume will also increase.... but so long as the pump rating is adequate for the lift the volume won't change.

You changed the topic, you're talking about pump ratings and wells, not hose length. With your well pump set up volume won't change with a longer hose so long as you're not running it up hill, that your well maintains adequate water volume, and your well pump maintains pressure. But the topic is not about wells and pumps. If you remember my original reply I asked about topograpghy for exactly what you're bringing up. The height water is lifted affects volume, but not the length of run on level ground. You'd probably understand if you've ever siphoned water any appreciable distance, siphoning eliminates frailities of a pump. And you do realize that temperatures affects volume too, higher temperatures cause hose diameter to expand creating a greater cross sectional area, in effect a larger diameter tube... there are other factors that alter volume too but not piping length alone. About two years ago I did a lot of reasearch on this exact topic for irrigating a property in Idaho by pumping water from a pond... there were several problems due to the hilly terrain. In the end several pumps proved inadequate... it was less costly and entailed far less labor by hauling water with a cart. And if the OP wants to irrigate 6 acres I'd definitely recommend a much larger well. I have two wells on my property, the one for my house was tested and delivers

12 gallons a minute, the one that used to be used for irrigating crops delivers 30 gallons a minute. I use the larger well only occasionally, to water my vegetable garden and to fill the buckets I sometimes haul about... I also use it to wash my tractors and whatever else requires large volumes of water.
Reply to
Brooklyn1

True only if the tail is lower than the head. For gravity fed drip irrigation what you say is true. However, most cases the person will be standing at the end of the line two or three feet higher to water the plants. I have run the water hoses for long distances and it can be done. However I did state that I tend to use a soaker hose that I do not raise the tail of the hose. The sprayer does not work very good because it does lack pressure.

The Original Poster wanted Taps at the end for watering plants. But like many Posters the OP rarely responds back for feedback.

Reply to
Nad R

I have black polypipe that's been in the sunlight for up to 20 years. The biggest danger to my black polypipe has been from my garden fork and frost popping the connectors off.

Reply to
FarmI

Ah! Thank you for mentioning it. Given all the other posts where there has been no mention of black polypipe except for a very early post, but some other things I've never heard of and UV, I was beginning to wonder if black polypipe hadn't made it to US.

Reply to
FarmI

LOL.

Reply to
FarmI

Nah, neither have I, but farmers tend to get attached to stuff that's been sitting in their PUS pile for years and the value increases in leaps and bounds when someone else might want it.

Old tractors and

:-)) I have a few of those. I also have a few old rabbit traps that I've foudn round the paddocks over time.

You didn't step back fast enough did you ;-))

Reply to
FarmI

If you have low water pressure, I can recommend these:

spiky little head in the middle is like a small basket that wobbles. The wobble action throws the spay quite wide even if the pressure is woeful. Here's another variant:

FarmI

Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, 2 inch black poly pipe is what my father used to get water from our spring's pump house to the water system at our home on the farm. We had to make sure the buried pipe was in a bed of sand because 200 yards of plastic pipe will move when pressurized. On more than one occasion a small stone would rub a hole into the pipe so we had to dig it up, patch the pipe with a plastic coupling then rebury it with sand around it. I remember the pipe as having a fairly thick wall and not being very flexible.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

version first. Thank for the information on that. The soaker hoses are nice but have their limitations.

Reply to
Nad R

Black HDPE pipe containing 2 to 2.5% carbon black can be safely stored outside in the sun without damage from UV exposure. source:

poly pipe can take it and some apparently can not.

Reply to
Colbyt

Because friction in the pipe will reduce pressure by a bunch and watering relies on flow, which needs pressure. Again we a discussing this without the needed information. Rise? Drop? initial pressure?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Used all the time in farm irrigation. Also in the recycling business

- very popular with the midnight recyclers.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I laid a "temporary line" some 200 ft with a 50' side branch with mostly 3/4" PVC (white) on top of the ground to water newly planted trees in 1977. Pulled it about 15 years later. Had a few leaks each spring but fittings are very cheap and patching is nothing but a hacksaw and tube of glue. Currently using pieces of that same pipe for another 'temporary' line to bypass a busted frost free hydrant (can't replace without digging through a mass of tree roots). That lien is also above ground and only needed one patch this spring (usually there are several). Line has been in place over 10 years.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

For a large job such as described by the OP 20' lenghts will cause lots of leaking problems, and short lengths can't be laid by machine... Home Depot, Lowes, and any plumbing supply emporium sells tubing in spools of several hundred feet. You can buy 300' rolls of

1" PVC from Amazon with free shipping:
still be easier and less costly to haul water as needed.
Reply to
Brooklyn1

Plenty black poly in the US, used for about every automatic sprinkler system... but in most all cases it's completely buried so UV is not a problem.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I never heard of buried poly moving from being pressurized... perhaps your system was prone to air locks, which is easy to eliminate by installing a simple device that cushions the system. Anyone installing an irrigation system from their domestic water needs to install an anti backflow valve or they are looking for big trouble.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

A "bunch"... is that universally recognized scientific nomenclature? Internal turbulence does not occur to any appreciable degree in typical hard pipe, especially not with smooth plastic irrigation tubing. Fire hose is coarsely woven cloth so is rough and does cause turbulence but still reduction in volume is negligible considering the very high pressure pumps used for fire fighting... were it presenting a water volume problem you could bet your bippee that fire fighters would use something else. I can't imagine anyone using fire hose to water their garden. However gals like fire fighters watering their gardens because of their big rough hoses with all their volume and high pressure... and especially how they fold up so neatly for storage in their drawers. LOL-LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Use drip irrigation!

Reply to
Billy

and so does shooting water into the air. You must have water to burn.

Reply to
Billy

It's called laminar flow

Reply to