Runner bean leaves eaten

My runner bean leaves are getting chewed down to a stub - fairly sure it's not slugs as the plants are in individual hosta haloes which have always worked well before plus no slime trails. Wondered if it was wood pigeons but still happened when I put netting over. No caterpillars on the undersides of the leaves. Is anyone else getting this? (My broad bean leaves have holes in too but not as badly.)

Reply to
Blenny

Dig around one of the fresh stubs and look for dark caterpillars curled into a "C" (cutworms) or possibly brown scarab-type beetles (Asiatic garden beetle). Both of these feed at night and bury themselves during the day. And yes, there are cutworms that climb up plants and drop down at night.

If that fails, go out late at night for a snap inspection to see what is visiting your garden.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz