Run-Away Vine

Page 2 of 4
Are you referring to me, Joe? Mensa considers me to be quite intelligent.

If you give no thought to where the water from your toilet ends up (along with the chemicals you spill in it), then Mensa is wrong. Municipal treatment systems do not remove toxic chemicals, and nobody knows what these chemicals do to people when they return to the drinking water supply.

You are not talking about me. I do not put toxic chemicals into my toilet and we have a septic system, hundreds of feet from anyone's water supply.

Sorry about that. My mistake - it was intended for "I Love Lucy", who said: "One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toilet (ducking)."
She/he "ducked" because it was clear that the idea was a bad one.
By the way, it doesn't matter that you have a septic system. They are designed to allow seepage into the soil, or they could not function properly. Underground water can travel quite a distance, taking contaminants along with it.

Where I live, the water doesn't travel a great distance underground. At least not as a rule. Our well is over 400 feet deep and it gives us only about 300 gallons a day. People around here often have to have 3 or 4 wells dug before they even hit water. If you go deep enough you can get water but it's salt water.
In any case, it is obvious that you are no dumbell. Can we call a truce?

Since none of the garden chemicals available have ever been, or ever will be properly tested for safety (assuming the science of testing remains as it is now), it is not safe to assume anything about them, or the places they end up.

No, I'm sure he meant me, and I'm right up there near you. Was. Am slipping due to age and stress.

High scores on Mensa's little picture & word puzzles do not mean you are well informed on all subjects.
You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I slip a cog or two on.
Pixi

OK. Recently, prominent scientists who study the effects of chemicals on the human body have said that it may be a lost cause because there is no way to conduct a controlled study, as can be done to a much greater extent with pharmaceuticals. Second fact: Unlike 30-40 years ago, when industries were the biggest polluters, the largest known sources of chemical pollution are now homeowners and golf courses. You can control one of those things, at least in your own home, and by teaching whoever will listen, beginning with the young people in your family.

You are forgetting the runoff from agricultural production. Playing hob with the ocean life.
Do you know which one of the two of us you are arguing with?

Yes - you're the Mensa person. I'm filling you in on something new. Agricultural runoff has actually decreased markedly over the years, while the opposite has happened with homeowners and golf courses. The homeowner factor is related to lifestyle, advertising and intellect.

Been fun. It's supposed to go down into the 50's tonight so I am going out to sleep in my woods.
Have a good one.
Pixi

Don't forget to bring a towel.

pixi You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects.
Is anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that slip a cog or two on.
Pixi
"JoeSpareBedroom" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in message
Are you referring to me, Joe? Mensa considers me to be quite intelligent.-
No, I'm sure he meant me, and I'm right up there near you. Was. Am slipping due to age and stress.-
High scores on Mensa's little picture & word puzzles do not mean yo are well informed on all subjects. -
okay lets get this straight lol. i said before that roundup is no systemic. i was referring to how it works :(. okay roundup is systemic to the plan itself it stays with the plant and acts for about 10 days. but roundup is non systemi to the soil itself actually it binds with the upper layer and is gone within few days. it does not seep into ground water therefore does not contaminate wate courses. so anyone thinking that it does affect the water table or contaminat underground water should do a google search and see what it has to say about it. the only way u would get roundup into your water is if u mixed it righ over an open well otherwise u are not going to contaminate anyones water course. cyaaa, sockiescat
-- sockiescat

Uh, was that necessary?

Perhaps not, but true, if you mishandle chemicals whose toxicity is unknown. Since the toxicity of ALL garden chemicals is unknown, you can draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion for some time has been that they could all be dangerous and should be handled with extreme caution. My conclusion is also that I do not fire the first volley of gratuitous insults at another poster. But that's usenet. I'm used to it.

Shock has value. There is NO excuse for using these chemicals at home. Not ever.